Is there a power-energy relationship between matter and energy?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter danielu13
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Relationship
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 2K views
danielu13
Messages
67
Reaction score
0
I was looking at the mass-energy relationship equation, which by taking the derivative I would think that you you should get a power-energy relationship. What I get is:

[itex]P = \frac{mc^2}{2\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}*2a[/itex]

If this were to be true, a particle without acceleration would have no power, and thus release no energy. Or, it could be that all of the energy is instantaneously released and shows no power. Can someone help me where I went wrong in this?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
But is there any way of figuring the power produced by the destruction of mass, as in the mass-energy relationship?
 
So the conversion between matter and energy is not instantaneous then?
 
If it was, there would be infinite power for an infinitely short time.

Conversion of mass to energy means the mass would no longer exist.

When a photon is emitted, it does not accelerate, it moves at c instantaneously.

My guess is that the consideration of power in this case is not meaningful.
 
danielu13 said:
I was looking at the mass-energy relationship equation, which by taking the derivative I would think that you you should get a power-energy relationship. What I get is:

[itex]P = \frac{mc^2}{2\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}*2a[/itex]

A power energy relationship is time.

The derivative would be a power vs mass relationship.

I do find it an interesting thought.
 
danielu13 said:
So the conversion between matter and energy is not instantaneous then?
On a molecular or atomic level I think it is -- therefore power is meaningless because as said it would be infinite or undefined.

I have, however seen people calculate power using a propagation rate or reaction rate of even a very fast reaction such as in a bomb. It provides interesting hyperbole but I don't think it is really all that useful.
 
Last edited: