Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is there a rating system for semiconductor manufacturers and distributors?

1. May 12, 2009 #1
    I'm looking for a way to get accurate opinions, experiences and recommendations from others in industry on the quality of different electronic suppliers. Specifically, I want to know the quality of the suppliers of MCUs.

What are your experiences with Freescale, Renasas, Microchip, Infineon, ASIX, etc?
    Do you know of a better way to research the quality of their service? Is there a centralized website with such opinions?

2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2009 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

I think you would normally buy those through distributors, at least in low/modest voumes? You can use www.findchips.com to see what disti's carry what parts. Not sure that helps on your question, though.

4. May 12, 2009 #3

madmike159

Gold Member

What are you planning to make. Depending on how complex it is and how accurate it needs to be, lower quality componants could be ok.

5. May 12, 2009 #4
    I'm not talking about the quality of the parts. I have chosen the parts for my project. However, it is the distributors that I am hoping to get opinions on. Since my original question was along the lines of "is there a larger resource of customer experiences and reviews", I will assume the answer is no if no one posts any such thing.

6. May 13, 2009 #5

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

I'm not directly involved in the Purchasing function, but I haven't heard of any bad things about any particular disti. If you have a specific question about a disti or a couple of distis, I can ask my Purchasing folks about it. In general, I think distis do a good job, at least the ones included at findchips.com.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook