Is there a rating system for semiconductor manufacturers and distributors?

Main Question or Discussion Point

I'm looking for a way to get accurate opinions, experiences and recommendations from others in industry on the quality of different electronic suppliers. Specifically, I want to know the quality of the suppliers of MCUs.

What are your experiences with Freescale, Renasas, Microchip, Infineon, ASIX, etc?
Do you know of a better way to research the quality of their service? Is there a centralized website with such opinions?

Answers and Replies

berkeman
Mentor
I'm looking for a way to get accurate opinions, experiences and recommendations from others in industry on the quality of different electronic suppliers. Specifically, I want to know the quality of the suppliers of MCUs.

What are your experiences with Freescale, Renasas, Microchip, Infineon, ASIX, etc?
Do you know of a better way to research the quality of their service? Is there a centralized website with such opinions?
I think you would normally buy those through distributors, at least in low/modest voumes? You can use www.findchips.com to see what disti's carry what parts. Not sure that helps on your question, though.

madmike159
Gold Member
What are you planning to make. Depending on how complex it is and how accurate it needs to be, lower quality componants could be ok.

I'm not talking about the quality of the parts. I have chosen the parts for my project. However, it is the distributors that I am hoping to get opinions on. Since my original question was along the lines of "is there a larger resource of customer experiences and reviews", I will assume the answer is no if no one posts any such thing.

berkeman
Mentor
I'm not talking about the quality of the parts. I have chosen the parts for my project. However, it is the distributors that I am hoping to get opinions on. Since my original question was along the lines of "is there a larger resource of customer experiences and reviews", I will assume the answer is no if no one posts any such thing.
I'm not directly involved in the Purchasing function, but I haven't heard of any bad things about any particular disti. If you have a specific question about a disti or a couple of distis, I can ask my Purchasing folks about it. In general, I think distis do a good job, at least the ones included at findchips.com.