Is there a rule of thumb for small angle approximation?

In summary, when given a problem without an acceptable level of error, it is up to the individual to decide what level of error is appropriate. One can use the Taylor remainder theorem to bound the error on an approximation, but for small theta, it is easier to use the alternating series method. Generally, using a level of error less than 0.5 is sufficient for simple and approximate calculations. Additionally, one can look at a graph of Sin x / x to determine where the approximation is accurate, with a value of 0.95 usually being a good threshold.
Starwatcher16
When you are not given an acceptable level of error in a problem, is there any rule of thumb I should use for how large Theta can be before I stop using the small angle approximation(Sin Theta=Theta) ?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
According to my textbook it says (to 3sf, in radians)

[tex]-0.105<\theta<0.105[/tex]

Starwatcher16 said:
When you are not given an acceptable level of error in a problem, is there any rule of thumb I should use for how large Theta can be before I stop using the small angle approximation(Sin Theta=Theta) ?
Decide for yourself what level of error is appropriate. Then use your calculus to determine if that approximation is good enough!

The Taylor remainder theorem is a systematic way to bound the error on an approximation.

However, when theta is small, the Taylor series for sin is an alternating series whose terms are strictly decreasing -- so an easier method is to use what you know about alternating series to estimate the error.

In general if you're doing really simple and very very approximate calculations then anything less than 0.5 would probably be just fine.

Truly though, the best way to look is to see a graph of Sin x / x. Analyze this and look at the regions where it is 0.95 - 1 for example, and you can then grasp where you can begin to approximate.

About x = 0.55 is where Sin x / x = 0.95. Obviously as x goes to 0, the value increases towards 1.

I hope that helped or at least made you get up and get your graphing calculator :P

1. What is the small angle approximation?

The small angle approximation is a mathematical technique used to simplify the calculation of trigonometric functions when the angle is very small. It involves replacing the trigonometric function with a simpler expression that is more easily calculated.

2. When can the small angle approximation be used?

The small angle approximation can be used when the angle is less than 15 degrees or when the sine, cosine, or tangent of the angle is close to 0. This approximation becomes more accurate as the angle gets smaller.

3. How is the small angle approximation calculated?

The small angle approximation is calculated by using the first two terms of the Taylor series expansion of the trigonometric function. For example, the small angle approximation for the sine function is sin(x) ≈ x - (x^3 / 6).

4. What are the benefits of using the small angle approximation?

The small angle approximation allows for simpler and faster calculations of trigonometric functions when dealing with small angles. This can be useful in many scientific and engineering applications, such as optics, astronomy, and mechanics.

5. Are there any limitations to the small angle approximation?

Yes, the small angle approximation should only be used when the angle is small enough for the error to be negligible. Using this approximation for larger angles can result in significant errors in the calculation. Additionally, this approximation is only accurate for the first few terms of the Taylor series and may not be suitable for more complex calculations.