Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is there alcohol in apple cider vinegar

1. Mar 12, 2015 #1
    I have searched here and a number of places online but I can't find an answer.
    Is there alcohol in Bragg's apple cider vinegar?

I always get a strange slightly calm feeling after drinking two or three tablespoons in a big glass of water.
    But I can't imagine how there could be any alcohol in it without it all over the label.

Any help would be most appreciated. It can help a lot with anxiety (in addition tonallnthe medical treatments, not instead of). But ifnits alcohol I don't want that.
    Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2015 #2
    If it's not on the label, it's not in the beverage. You can be sure of that. The company would not be in business long if it was misleading to that degree.

However, my brother in law used to buy organic farm made apple cider in a jug and if often would ferment in the jug and give it a nice natural buzz.

4. Mar 12, 2015 #3
    Thanks Greg.
    So does vinegar in general contain any alcohol? I definitely feel weird and a bit tingly when drinking it

5. Mar 12, 2015 #4
  6. Mar 12, 2015 #5
    Awesome. Thank you. Much appreciated.

7. Mar 12, 2015 #6

Borek

Staff: Mentor

No doubt there are alcohols in the apple vinegar :wink:

1. When you ask about alcohol, you really mean ethanol. I am more than sure there are measurable quantities of ethanol present, but they are way too low to matter.

2. Chemically, "alcohol" doesn't mean just ethanol, plenty of other compounds containing the -OH group (which is what alcohols are). They are present in practically all natural products.

8. Mar 12, 2015 #7

Nugatory

Fresh-baked bread, for example.... Alcohols are a big part of that delicious "someone's been baking" smell.
    We humans evolved the ability to metabolize alcohol because it is ubiquitous in our diet.

9. Mar 12, 2015 #8

Quantum Defect

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There was a funny commentary in Nature a while back (20 years?) which noted that the amount of ethanol produced due to fermentation by the critters in the human gut was significant. The cheeky columnist was arguing that we should somehow alter the balance in our gut to lower our tolerance to ethanol, so that we could get tipsy on a smaller amount of additional ethanol.

10. Mar 12, 2015 #9

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor

There are documented cases in the medical literature of yeasts in the human stomach fermenting sugars into alcohol, getting people drunk off of things like bagles and bread:
    (source)

11. Mar 13, 2015 #10

How much ethanol are we talking? How much in say a half cup acv?

Can a person get any buzz from vinegar?
    Thanks

12. Mar 13, 2015 #11

Borek

No idea about exact numbers, but we are talking about traces - way too low for any physiological effects (but high enough to be accurately measured by advanced analytical techniques).

13. Mar 16, 2015 #12
    Thanks for the help, everyone. Much appreciated!

14. Mar 16, 2015 #13
    There are trace amounts of ethanol and methanol in fresh fruits and unfertmented fruit juice.

15. Mar 20, 2015 #14
    Interesting! I never knew that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook