Electrical Circuits - Three Phase Power - Y-Y transformer

In summary, the conversation discusses analyzing a circuit with both wye and delta configurations in parallel. The individual provides background information and resources they have consulted, and expresses their difficulty in finding literature on this specific problem. They also mention converting delta connections to wye connections and using a one-line diagram to analyze the circuit. They provide equations for calculating line and phase voltage and current for delta and wye connections, as well as formulas for power in these configurations.
YoshiMoshi

Homework Statement

I took a few pictures of the circuit, it went across two pages so I took a few pictures, and closeups of certain parts to ensure that all the details can be seen

For the circuit:

http://s7.postimg.org/ywd4nrmsq/IMG_20150905_140403187_HDR.jpg
Figure 1. Overview of Circuit Picture 1
http://s13.postimg.org/p5i0bqwp2/IMG_20150905_140331854.jpg
Figure 2. Overview of Circuit Picture 2
http://s9.postimg.org/vv6dm2hlq/IMG_20150905_140357293.jpg
Figure 3. Closeup of RHS of circuit
http://s23.postimg.org/kvsc4okdm/IMG_20150905_140339083.jpg
Figure 4. Closeup of LHS

1)Find Load Current @ .85 p.f. lead and find load current @ full load
2)Find real power
3)Find Imaginary Power
4)Apparent Power

Homework Equations

delta to wye conversion
wye to delta conversion

The Attempt at a Solution

Alright. I'm pretty loss on how to analyze this circuit. In my undergraduate I touched upon three phase power, wye configurations, and delta configurations. This was a while back though.

I know that you can convert a delta configuration to a wye configuration (and the other way around), however I don't know this is of any use in this case. I have never analyzed a circuit before were a wye configuration is in parallel with a delta configuration, as in this problem. So I'm a bit lost. I have searched the internet and cannot find any literature on analyzing the two configurations in parallel. Maybe I didn't look in the right places but I searched for some time. I have found plenty of documentation on solving such problems when it's a wye configuration or just a delta configuration, but nothing with both of them in parallel.

I went through my book page by page and found a sort of similar problem with the two configurations in parallel. The book I'm using is "An Introduction to Electrical Machines and Transformers" second edition by George McPherson and Robert D. Laramore. I tried to find the solution online but was unable to do so. I also tried searching for the solutions manual. I was surprised I could find nothing, as the book is from 1990.

http://s4.postimg.org/3t6pyu2yz/similar_problem.jpg
Figure 5. A sort of similar problem in my book with the two configurations in parallel

I also found in my book some documentation on analyzing a Y-Y transformer configuration with the load being in a Y configuration. Although this is helpful and a start, I can't apply this technique because the load in my circuit is a delta configuration in parallel with a Y configuration.

http://s9.postimg.org/p6m0n1fcu/Y_Y_Y_load.jpg
Figure 6. Documentation on analyzing a Y-Y transformer with a Y load
http://s15.postimg.org/u5pikknwq/Y_Y_Y_load2.jpg
Figure 7. Additional Information on analyzing a Y-Y transformer with a Y load

Other than what I mentioned above, my book doesn't offer much help. As mentioned I have searched online for a few hours looking for documentation on analyzing and simplifying a delta configuration in parallel with a Y (wye) configuration but can't find any. I have found online though information that the Y-Y transformer isn't use that often because of issues with it being reliable.

Any help would be greatly appreciated in analyzing this circuit. I don't know were to begin, and have searched literature for a few hours for aid in even beginning to analyze the circuit ,but can't find any. Even just some literature on analyzing a delta configuration in parallel with a Y configuration would be of help. Since my book is very old, and there is a similar problem in it, I know someone has had to solve a similar problem before, but I can't find any documentation on such a problem, other than what is mentioned.

THANKS!

Physics news on Phys.org
What I'd do initially is convert any delta connections to wye connections and then create a one-line diagram of one singular phase of the circuit. From there you can simply analyze the circuit and apply to the other 2 phases by only adding their respective different phase angles. Search up one-line three phase circuit analysis. This will convert the difficult 3 phases into one simple to analysis phase and then you can use your existing single phase circuit theory knowledge to do the whole circuit.

You'll need to know the differences between line and phase voltage and current to make sure you use the correct ones when working with delta and wye connections.

Delta:
Vline = Vphase and Iline = 3^(1/2)*Iphase

Wye:
Iline = Iphase and Vline = 3^(1/2)*Vphase

For Power in these connections:

Pd & Py = 3^(1/2)*Vline*Iline*Cos(theta) (Watts)
|Sd| & |Sy| = Vline*Iline (VA)
Qd & Qy = 3^(1/2)*Vline*Iline*Sin(theta) (VAr)

1. What is a three-phase electrical circuit?

A three-phase electrical circuit is a type of electrical power transmission system that uses three alternating currents (AC) that are offset by 120 degrees from each other. This type of circuit is commonly used in large power distribution systems and industrial applications.

2. What is the purpose of a Y-Y transformer in a three-phase circuit?

A Y-Y transformer is used in a three-phase circuit to step down or step up the voltage levels. It is also used to balance the three-phase loads, ensuring that each phase receives the same amount of power. This helps to improve the efficiency and stability of the electrical system.

3. How does a Y-Y transformer work?

A Y-Y transformer consists of three sets of primary and secondary windings, connected in a Y configuration on both the primary and secondary sides. The three-phase power is supplied to the primary windings, which creates a magnetic field that induces an AC voltage in the secondary windings. The voltage is then stepped up or down depending on the number of turns in the windings.

4. What are the advantages of using a Y-Y transformer in a three-phase circuit?

The use of a Y-Y transformer in a three-phase circuit has several advantages. It helps to balance the loads, ensures a constant supply of power, and improves the overall efficiency of the electrical system. It also allows for flexibility in voltage levels and can be used to step down high voltages for safer use in homes and buildings.

5. What are some common applications of three-phase circuits with Y-Y transformers?

Three-phase circuits with Y-Y transformers are commonly used in industrial applications, such as power plants, factories, and large commercial buildings. They are also used in residential areas for power distribution and in electrical devices that require high voltages, such as elevators and air conditioning units.