Is there an Expression for Entropy of Fermions or Bosons?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 4K views
Philip Koeck
Gold Member
Messages
802
Reaction score
230
Is there an expression similar to the Sackur-Tetrode equation that describes the statistical entropy of fermions or bosons, maybe for the electron gas in a metal or the photon gas in a cavity?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I was thinking more along these lines: For the BoItzmann distribution I would write:

ni = gi e-α e-β ui

ln W ≈ ∑ni (1 - ln (ni / gi)) = N + αN + βU

α = - μ / kT ; β = 1 / kT

S = k ln W = k N - μ N / T + U / T

Inserting expressions for μ and U for an ideal gas gives the Sackur-Tetrode equation.

Is something similar possible for FD or BE?
 
Last edited:
Thanks for your help. I'll look at both texts during summer.
 
Now I've looked at Feder's lecture notes. I've appended a text of my own where in the expression for ln W in sections 1 and 3 I get the same as equation 4.6 in Feder, apart from a minus in front of one of the terms. Don't know where the mistake is.
Anyway: I'd like to know if it's possible to simplify this expression as sketched in the text. My problem is that I'm left with 1 term I can't simplify at the end of section 3. Do you know if this is done anywhere?