Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is there any hope that textbook prices will ever drop?

Tags:
  1. Jan 14, 2015 #1
    Is there any information out there regarding this topic? I know open source textbooks seem to be becoming popular in some places, and there is now a good amount of free textbooks (legal textbooks, I mean) online. In particular, there's an entire page of free online math textbooks on the University of Georgia page.

Meanwhile, my total cost for required textbooks this semester (combined with required access codes to homework) will be somewhere between $600 - $850, which is highway robbery of the highest degree. I'm wondering if there is some kind of trend towards dropping textbook prices or alternative ways to do this stuff. If not for me, at least for the sake of me avoiding going into debt over the cost of my future children's textbooks (which, at this rate, I expect to cost somewhere around the GDP of Switzerland).

Before anyone mentions them, no, ebooks do not count. For one, they often have formatting errors in scientific/math/engineering textbooks, and two, on Amazon, it currently costs 115$ to rent the digital version of one of my textbooks this semester (they're not even pretending to be fair anymore at this point).

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2015 #2

mheslep

Gold Member

Today's WSJ, apropos

http://www.wsj.com/articles/craig-richardson-the-250-econ-101-textbook-1421192341

4. Jan 14, 2015 #3

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

When I was in college, 30 years ago, books cost me $800 a year. Adjusting for inflation, that's $900/semester in today's dollars. Somehow I don't think it will change your opinion on highway robbery.

5. Jan 14, 2015 #4

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Despite your dislike of eBooks, I think in the long run they will likely rule the roost. Sure they can have errors. So can hardbacks, and it's a LOT easier to fix them in eBooks AND the eBooks can be updated. It's my understanding that a lot of profs like them for because of the ease of updating (but not the profs who WRITE textbooks and want the money :smile:

EDIT: the most serious drawback to eBooks to my mind is that with current devices, the graphs and diagrams are too small but I don't think that will last. Enlargement capabilities already exist for some.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
  6. Jan 14, 2015 #5
    I'm curious as to the methods you had of buying the textbooks, though. Were you limited to your campus bookstore? Certainly there was no Amazon or Chegg to browse for lower prices on. As it currently stands, I calculated that buying my books for this semester alone from my campus bookstore would cost $908, and including homework access codes, $1112

7. Jan 14, 2015 #6

Larry Gopnik

Gold Member

See here at my uni (In England), everyone in my course has been given our books by the university -they said 'you're paying £9000 a year to be here. May as well get your moneys worth' Anything I don't have, I can get for a 2 month loan at the university library.
    I've seen while looking at Blackwells in Oxford that textbooks can get into stupid money - however given the choice between books and ebooks ID still choose books. I guess I'm old fashioned like that.

8. Jan 14, 2015 #7
    I just paid for my wife's Spanish textbook and it was $140. It's not even hard cover!

9. Jan 15, 2015 #8

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Effectively, yes. They couldn't frog march us down and make us buy from them, but as you say, there was no Amazon.

10. Jan 15, 2015 #9

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Prices? Depends on the book: classics that no one uses, but everyone refers to --- cheap (Harned & Owen cost me $30 new in 1973 and is $40 used now on Amazon). Hirschfelder, Curtiss, & Bird cost me around $30 at around same time --- used $300 on Amazon and $800 for "collectible."
    Committee authored intellectual property? Prepare to buy condos in Vail, Puerto Vallarta, Cabo, Tahitii, and Monaco for each member of the committee.

11. Jan 15, 2015 #10

Maylis

Gold Member

My cost are usually around $10-15 per semester for books. I buy older editions and they almost always work out just fine. Old editions can be found on amazon for 5-10% of the newest edition price with very little content change.

12. Jan 16, 2015 #11
    When I was in college, from 1973 to 1977, textbooks were the same price as any other new book comparable in size and number of pages. The price of texts was a non-issue. No one felt they were expensive.

I guess sometime between then and when you went was when someone realized college students were a 'captive audience' who could be milked mercilessly for their required class material. The current high price of texts is completely unnecessary: it costs no more to print a textbook than any other book. The huge price of texts is due to someone gouging people who have to have the books and have no alternative source for them. It is highway robbery.

13. Jan 16, 2015 #12
    People don't lower their prices unless they have to. What's needed, I think, is a nationwide organization of students and concerned people who will study the college textbook industry and find out who is doing the gouging where. Then those people have to be targeted and exposed.

Additionally, teachers have to be pressured not to assign expensive books. I read (though I haven't researched and confirmed it) that the way this gouging got started is that the booksellers gave the teachers kickbacks for assigning expensive texts over the normally priced ones.

It's going to take a large organization to stop it. I don't think enough people realize it's not normal inflation, which is why such an organization has not already been started.

14. Jan 16, 2015 #13
    Just buy pirated Indian textbooks from ebay like me. Can't fight globalization.

Alternatively, you could just print entire books out from the library. Immoral? Yes, but less immoral than demanding $40k tuition and $150 for a textbook.

If book publishers are trying to screw you, why not fight back? Let's not live in fairy-tale land and pretend the prices they demand are not a result of carteling and monopolies.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
  15. Jan 19, 2015 #14
    I requested most from the library for free, so in the end I only bought 3 calculus books (20€-30€ each), and Serway's Physics which was the most expensive one. Others the good old Google gave me a hand, which was something the teachers encouraged anyway lol.

16. Jan 19, 2015 #15

Pythagorean

Gold Member

Moral of the story: if you want to make money in science, become a publisher.

Wouldn't hurt to fight against open access, either. With all your lawyers and money.

17. Jan 19, 2015 #16

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

The problem with the "textbook publishers are gouging us" theory is that this doesn't explain why Houghon-Mifflin-Harcourt went bankrupt.

You also have the problem of how one finances advanced textbooks. There are 700 PhD graduates in physics per year. How many copies of Bjorken and Drell are sold in a year. 200? 300? These are subsidized by introductory-level textbooks today. It may be that one can reduce the price of one of these textbooks from $150 to $145 - but only by increasing the price of a seldom-used textbook by hundreds.

The best book on secondary beamlines is Dave Carey's The Optics of Charged Particle Beams. It's rated #11,680,000 on Amazon and costs $250 if you can find one. Do we really want to make publishers have even less incentive to produce these books?

18. Jan 19, 2015 #17
    ...is that no one proposed that particular theory. My assertion is that someone, somewhere in the chain linking publisher to student is artificially inflating the price. I don't know who, which is why I said people need to investigate the situation. As I said, the thing I read alleged that middlemen were approaching professors and tempting them to order certain overpriced texts with the promise of kickbacks. The publisher may not be getting the lion's share of the inflated price at all, rather it would be these people who created the position of text book broker for themselves.

When I was in college text books were no more expensive than any other kind of book. 10 or so years ago I was shocked when I became aware of how much they cost now compared to all other kinds of books.

I've been out of college for decades and this isn't my problem, but I'm surprised students aren't digging into it and seeing what, exactly, is going on and how it can be changed.

19. Jan 19, 2015 #18

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Kickbacks! I'd like to see some evidence for that. The closest thing to that is that the instructor can sometimes get a free copy.

20. Jan 19, 2015 #19
    It makes perfect sense. Professors choose the books. Something is certainly not kosher.

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles...tbook-prices-have-college-students-struggling

-----> "...three times the rate of inflation..." <------

21. Jan 20, 2015 #20
    Only if we give publishers an incentive to be more reasonable in pricing.

Personally, I always try to figure out if an older edition can be acceptable. If homework is not going to be given out of the textbook, then I've found it's rather easy to get away with an older edition and save a few hundred dollars.

International versions can be an order of magnitude cheaper, this makes me wonder whether the high costs we pay in the US are truly out of publisher necessity.

I've also found that libraries can be good places to look. Especially now since so many library catalogues are combined into massive networks online, it's become very easy to search for a spare copy of a specific title.

This all adds up to many completely legal ways to put the pressure on publishers to be more competitive.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook