Is there any possibility for debunking?

• Thread starter GTOM
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of debunking pseudoscientific claims on PF and the difficulty of moderating such threads. The topic of discussion revolves around an article that claims animals learned new behaviors without direct contact, and the conversation delves into the validity of this claim and the speed at which learned behavior can spread among animals. The thread is ultimately closed with the suggestion to ask a question about the science behind the transmission of learned behavior.
GTOM
I wondered, whether PF offers any possibility to debunk pseudoscientific claims? (Yes i know, the experiment to open a different section for it didnt work well. Maybe a private question?)
I ask this, because i met an article claiming surprising things about how different animals learned new things, while the individual animals could hardly met each other.

Physics news on Phys.org
Unfortunately, it takes to much work to moderate threads dealing with debunking pseudoscience.

However, you are talking about something that was published in an article. Is it in a peer-reviewed journal? If it is in a reputable enough source, then we may discuss the findings. You may PM me if you wish to keep the details private for now.

Likes GTOM
DrClaude said:
Unfortunately, it takes to much work to moderate threads dealing with debunking pseudoscience.

However, you are talking about something that was published in an article. Is it in a peer-reviewed journal? If it is in a reputable enough source, then we may discuss the findings. You may PM me if you wish to keep the details private for now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hundredth_monkey_effect

That pseudoscientific article (i think the source don't worth mentioning) extrapolated that, and claimed, that horses also mysteriously learned how to avoid barbed wire, birds learned how to open milk bottles, etc.
I was suspicious to begin with, but it made me curious about how fast knowledge can spread between animals. I wondered how could i ask properly, what can be the basis of theese legends.
Anyway i think that this thread can be closed, that wiki article was enough debunk to start with, and i will phrase a correct question.

GTOM said:
it made me curious about how fast knowledge can spread between animals. I wondered how could i ask properly, what can be the basis of theese legends.
That is a valid question. You don't even have to mention the "hundredth monkey effect," simply ask about what science knows about the speed of transmission of learned behaviour.

Thread closed.

What exactly is debunking?

Debunking is the process of disproving or exposing a false belief, myth, or misconception through evidence-based research and critical thinking.

Why is debunking important?

Debunking is important because it helps to separate fact from fiction and promotes the use of reliable information. It also helps to prevent the spread of misinformation and promotes a more accurate understanding of the world around us.

What is the role of science in debunking?

Science plays a crucial role in debunking as it relies on evidence-based research and critical thinking to test and verify claims. Scientists use the scientific method to collect data, analyze results, and draw conclusions, which can be used to debunk false beliefs.

Can anything be debunked?

Yes, anything can be debunked as long as there is sufficient evidence to disprove the claim. However, some beliefs may be more challenging to debunk due to the strong emotional attachment or cultural significance they hold.

How can individuals identify false beliefs and misinformation?

Individuals can identify false beliefs and misinformation by fact-checking information from multiple reliable sources, critically evaluating evidence, and being open to changing their beliefs based on new evidence. It is also essential to be aware of biases and to avoid spreading information without verifying its accuracy.