Is there any possibility for debunking?

• Thread starter GTOM
  • Start date
I wondered, whether PF offers any possibility to debunk pseudoscientific claims? (Yes i know, the experiment to open a different section for it didnt work well. Maybe a private question?)
I ask this, because i met an article claiming surprising things about how different animals learned new things, while the individual animals could hardly met each other.

DrClaude

Mentor
Unfortunately, it takes to much work to moderate threads dealing with debunking pseudoscience.

However, you are talking about something that was published in an article. Is it in a peer-reviewed journal? If it is in a reputable enough source, then we may discuss the findings. You may PM me if you wish to keep the details private for now.

Unfortunately, it takes to much work to moderate threads dealing with debunking pseudoscience.

However, you are talking about something that was published in an article. Is it in a peer-reviewed journal? If it is in a reputable enough source, then we may discuss the findings. You may PM me if you wish to keep the details private for now.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hundredth_monkey_effect

That pseudoscientific article (i think the source dont worth mentioning) extrapolated that, and claimed, that horses also mysteriously learned how to avoid barbed wire, birds learned how to open milk bottles, etc.
I was suspicious to begin with, but it made me curious about how fast knowledge can spread between animals. I wondered how could i ask properly, what can be the basis of theese legends.
Anyway i think that this thread can be closed, that wiki article was enough debunk to start with, and i will phrase a correct question.

DrClaude

Mentor
it made me curious about how fast knowledge can spread between animals. I wondered how could i ask properly, what can be the basis of theese legends.
That is a valid question. You don't even have to mention the "hundredth monkey effect," simply ask about what science knows about the speed of transmission of learned behaviour.

Thread closed.