Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is there any proper way to print threads?

1. Aug 12, 2015 #1

SVN

Sort of printable versions of thread pages or script optimising thread being sent to printer on-the-fly. Is there anything like that on this forum?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 12, 2015 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I use the web page printing feature in my Browser (FireFox). This seems to work for me.

4. Aug 12, 2015 #3

SVN

Well, for sure it does. But it takes five paper sheets, what could be «copressed» to fit only one when optimised for printing.

I just thought I overlooked this, it is a pretty standard feature for forums, as far as I know.

5. Aug 12, 2015 #4

SVN

I meant «compressed»...

6. Aug 12, 2015 #5
    At the moment no there is friendly print option. Maybe in the future.

7. Aug 12, 2015 #6

SVN

OK. Thanks for clarification.

8. Jul 20, 2016 #7
    Found this thread because I was wondering the same thing. According to an old thread from 2009, there used to be a print-friendly option but I guess not since the major UI overhaul. Overall the new UI is a huge improvement. Hopefully that feature will be reinstated eventually.

9. Jul 22, 2016 #8
    Some browser plugin like this one could help for the time being.

10. Jul 23, 2016 #9
    Joris, thanks, something like that would help at least for threads that aren't too many pages.

11. Jul 25, 2016 #10

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

Does "optimised for printing" mean leaving out some parts of the web pages?

If so, a possible work-around is to use the "print preview" feature when it is available - either from your browser or from you printer software. You can see which pages contain the text you want printed and then only print those pages.

12. Jul 25, 2016 #11
    I think that's what the poster meant. Extensions like the one to which Joris posted a link allow even finer control over which elements on the page are printed. That should be great as long as you're not printing too many threads or threads with too many posts (just b/c it would become tedious selecting/deselecting the parts you want if you have to do it 10-15 times or more).

13. Jul 27, 2016 #12
    I may be able to put something together. Anyone else interested in a thread print function?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted