Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is there any USB device for simulating

1. Jun 8, 2012 #1
    Is there any USB device for simulating......

hi

Is it posiible to generate analog signal from a USB device. The data to be generated as analog signal is stored in usb or PC to which it is connected ?

thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 8, 2012 #2

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: Is there any USB device for simulating......

An USB-DAQ?

See e.g.
    http://www.ni.com/data-acquisition/usb/

Note that DAQs from NI are not what you would call cheap, there are plenty of less pricey alternatives out there.

4. Jun 8, 2012 #3
  5. Jun 8, 2012 #4
  6. Jun 8, 2012 #5

are you trying to control something with the output signal, if so, then you'll need a micro-controller. For pure analog or digital data-acquisition, the other posters are on the right track, I've used this $20 piece before. dataq d-155.

7. Jun 8, 2012 #6
  8. Jun 8, 2012 #7
  9. Jun 8, 2012 #8

As far as I know, most DACs are current limited to 20mA per output anyway. If you needed more current, you would push it to a transistor or relay controlling a larger current. Also, he needs to generate analogue signals and I don't see that mentioned on the Arduino.

I really think a good mid-range DAQ is required, there seems to be a gap in the market.

8 Channels - 4-in/4-out
    16/24 bit ADC
    2 Msps per channel
    USB

Something like this for $100, or so, I think would sell really well.

10. Jun 8, 2012 #9

yes for for analog, you are correct, I'm thinking of building a controller myself but i'll dig deeper into it later.

11. Jun 9, 2012 #10

thanks all.
    actually the idea came because of this.
    So I thought I could pre-generate a fixed length data either in Scilab or Matlab, and
    produce the analog signal accordingly.
    I also saw ideas using PC/laptop sound card, but that needs conversion of data (csv, xls, txt etc) into mp3, wav format , which I feel is very tough.

any more suggestions appreciated.

12. Jun 9, 2012 #11
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook