Is there anything wrong with how the supremum of a set is written?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Eclair_de_XII
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Set Supremum
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
Eclair_de_XII
Messages
1,085
Reaction score
92
TL;DR
Let ##A\subsetℝ## be bounded from above. Let ##f:A\rightarrow ℝ##. Then can I write the supremum of the image of ##A## through ##f## as ##\sup f(A)##, or do I have to write it as ##\sup\{f(x):x\in A\}##?
I'm just having random thoughts today, and I didn't know where to put this, since this isn't even a homework problem.

Anyway, is my way of writing the supremum of a set correct syntax-wise, or no?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Both are the same thing: simply because ##f(A) = \{f(a)\mid a \in A\}## by definition. That A is bounded above does not imply that f(A) is bounded above, so the supremum may not exist as a real number.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: PeroK
hilbert2 said:
I think having a continuous ##f## and compact ##A## would guarantee the existence of a supremum (probably even maximum).

Yes, that's work. You are right that it is even a maximum because the image of a compact set under a continuous map is compact, so the image is in particular closed and bounded hence contains its supremum.

What we need here is the requirement that f is bounded above, but this is just a reformulation of f(A) is bounded above.
 
Math_QED said:
That A is bounded above does not imply that f(A) is bounded above

Oh, I should have caught that. My mista;e; thanks for the reply, besides.
 
A situation where that happens is the function (defined on a half-open interval)

##f:]0,1]\mapsto \mathbb{R}## such that ##f(x)=1/x##

which gets arbitrarily large values when approaching ##x=0##.

If the domain is compact (closed and bounded), this can't happen because in conventional calculus you can't have a function that is defined as "infinite" at an endpoint of the domain.