Is there really a good income in IT market?

  • Thread starter Thread starter waternohitter
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Income
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 1K views
waternohitter
Messages
52
Reaction score
44
My husband has a plan to work as a freelance technical support provider soon. I wonder, if it will be good for him. What's your opinion about it? Do you think that it could be a promising career? I understand that not all companies have an internal technical support team. Am I correct? Your opinion please before he finally decides.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The short answer is that there is a lot of money to be made in the IT industry. And freelancing is one way to do it, yes.

But the devil is in the details. His particular business plan will have an influence over how much work he gets and how much money he makes.

All other things being equal though, yup, if he wants money he's in the right industry.
 
Yes, it can be rewarding - did that myself for years. I recommend to specialize in a narrow and rare niche - so that you would be hired also by large corporation's IT departments, rather than doing 'all things IT' for small businesses who don't have their own IT team. In the latter business, I see more and more companies offering standard remote IT support at very competitive prices (and you compete with businesses worldwide), so I would not rely on that kind of business forever.

One legal aspect: In some countries you must not work as a contractor full-time for one company for years, but your contract would need to be turned into an employment or halted for some months (I guess you are from the US - this is a huge issue for freelancers in Germans now, but I am aware of one case in the US: Large software company allowed its contractors to have access to their networks only for 18 months, then you need to 'take a break' for 6 months). If you work as a specialist - only for a few days or weeks for a well-defined task - you don't have to consider that.