1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How steadily available are Nuclear Engineering Jobs

1. Aug 5, 2016 #1
    Hi everyone, I am new in here and also wondering on my career path. I graduated with associate in Network Administration/Analyst 2015 and realized I needed something highly technical with lot challenges, after my research I decided to enroll in the Nuclear Power Plant field hopping to become a Nuclear Engineer. My questions are: what are my chances of employment with an associate degree in the Nuclear power plant field?
    while, I plan to further my education to Nuclear Engineer, are there surplus of opportunity and job security?
    I read about the unsafe environment in Nuclear field, how's that? considering the fact that security is paramount…

Also, is Computer Engineering a good combination with Nuclear Engineering, hoping to obtain PHD as a Professor after years of experience. please share your take on this or your advice will be greatly appreciation, I need some clarity in my career path…

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 6, 2016 #2
    Hi Ansu,

Nuclear engineering is not as insecure as you think. True is that there have being many horrible accidents, but there are rarely, and when they happen it's because a terrible mistake. Usually, companies provide secures to its employees; but anyway, if you wany the job you have to assume the consequences.

As in most engineering fields, many people apply for the job, so experience and background is key for obtaining that job.

If you want to do a PhD in Nuclear Engineering plus a degree in Computer engineering (I assume those are the levels you want to pursue; other combination would be meaningless), experience is the only thing that will lead you to a professor's job. I don't think Computer engineering will help you to be a professor, as engineering professors are more on the side of theoretical engineering. Rather try to write many and good papers, as the academic merits are the key for obtaining a professor's job.

Anyway, luck :)

4. Aug 12, 2016 #3
    Nuclear engineers don't have to just work on fission plants, they are hand in particle accelerators, submarines, hospitals, decommissioning, fusion research etc.

Computing with engineering is a great combination and modern engineering is getting increasingly high tech, you could end up in robotics for maintaining nuclear facilities or designing using virtual prototyping , 3D printing metal components, lots of opportunists.

Also I would think that professorship is entirely possible with this combination, just google Nuclear Engineering professors and you will see that there are plenty.

have a read of the nuclear institute (NI) guide on careers in nuclear, they also have a young generation network for people getting started

http://www.nuclearinst.com/write/MediaUploads/Resources/CQI_Nuclear_Quality_Career_Guide.pdf

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted