Is there such a thing as forbidden bound-free atomic transitions?

• Thread starter Aoife973
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Atomic
In summary, the conversation is about forbidden transitions and metastable states in atoms, specifically whether there are forbidden bound-free transitions. The individual is also seeking information on whether there are certain energy levels for which the transition to an ionized state is forbidden.
Aoife973
So I've been studying forbidden transitions and metastable states in atoms, etc., and I was just wondering if there is such a thing as forbidden bound-free transitions? I've only encountered bound-bound.

For example, if you have a neutral Helium atom with two electrons, I understand how forbidden transitions arise within that ion. But are there certain energy levels for which the transition to the ionised state is forbidden?

Thanks for any information! I tried googling but wasn't able to figure it out.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
It can help to concentrate on what the terms are actually describing.
"Forbidden" transitions are not actually forbidden forbidden since they can happen.

What exactly it it about the transition that is forbidden?

1. What are bound-free atomic transitions?

Bound-free atomic transitions are a type of atomic transition in which an electron in a bound energy state is excited to a free energy state, leaving the atom. This can occur through absorption of a photon or collision with another particle.

2. Are bound-free atomic transitions forbidden?

Some bound-free atomic transitions are forbidden, meaning they have very low probabilities of occurring. This can be due to selection rules or conservation laws that make the transition less likely to happen.

3. Why are some bound-free atomic transitions forbidden?

Bound-free atomic transitions can be forbidden due to various factors such as selection rules, which dictate the allowed changes in quantum numbers during a transition, or conservation laws, such as energy or angular momentum conservation.

4. Can forbidden bound-free atomic transitions occur?

Although they have low probabilities, forbidden bound-free atomic transitions can still occur. This can happen through rare events such as collisions with high-energy particles or through quantum tunneling.

5. How are forbidden bound-free atomic transitions studied?

Forbidden bound-free atomic transitions can be studied through various experimental techniques, such as spectroscopy, which can detect the emission or absorption of photons during the transition. Theoretical calculations and simulations can also be used to understand the underlying mechanisms and probabilities of these transitions.