Light Beam Emmiter: Is It Possible?

• Thread starter linux kid
  • Start date
In summary, the OP wanted a device that would send a beam of light, and then have it stop once it hit a certain distance. There is not such a thing, and no known way to make one.
linux kid
Is there a device like this?

I would like to purchase some kind of light beam emmiter that allows me to control length of the beam, unlike the triditional lasers that must hit a surface.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There is not such a thing, and no known way to make one. It might theoretically be possible, with enough power on hand, to create a magnetic containment field for a low-pressure/low-temperature plasma inside, like a neon tube without the glass. That wouldn't count as a 'beam', though, and I'm not sure if it would work properly.
The only other thing that even vaguely comes to mind would be a pair of converging 180-degrees-out-of-phase lasers that end in destructive wave overlap, but that wouldn't be visible unless you inject a dust stream or something into it. Again, I doubt that it would work anyway.

Last edited:
linux kid said:
I would like to purchase some kind of light beam emmiter that allows me to control length of the beam, unlike the triditional lasers that must hit a surface.

Star Wars fan?

GOD__AM said:
Star Wars fan?
I was thinking the exact same thing. Maybe a flashlight, a tube and a mirror?

Just so we understand what you're asking for, you want something that will send light out in a beam, say about three feet, and then beyond three feet, no light. As that it? And you don't want any physical mechanism (such as an opaque plate) at the three foot mark.

how about using lots of lasers with different freqs, which are all very close to each other (the laser beams, not the freqs), and create something that looks like a sine wave in the wanted wavelength which is containd inside a packet in the desired length?

mathematically it's easy... i think things like that are being done in labs, but making it affordable and small enough to hold, is a bit tricky.

Get some red laser sine wave thingy's like you describe around an invisble axis to make it look like and asterisk *. Even if you had a physical barrier at the end, that would still be so sweet.

Linux kid, I AM YOUR FATHER.

No! Nooo! THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE!

Last edited by a moderator:
(that was in response to the OP's idea, not the Darth Vader quote)

I'm still not posative the OP wants a light saber, as he hasn't replied, but I had an idea for making something similar. Using a compressed gas cylinder to inflate a semi-ridgid clear balloon in the shape of a saber blade, and choosing a gas that has a high reflective index (not sure what that would be), You could hit a button and have the blade inflate, then illuminate the gas with a laser (or any colored light source) in the hilt. Then using the right type of valve I think you could deflate the balloon by firing the compressed gas cylinder again. Kind of a klunky design, but I bet the star wars geeks would love it.:!)

Last edited:
I'm not a [big] star wars geek but it would be cool to have one of those light sabres.

Last edited:

1. Is it possible to create a Light Beam Emitter?

Yes, it is possible to create a Light Beam Emitter. In fact, scientists have already developed various types of light beam emitters, such as lasers and LED lights.

2. How does a Light Beam Emitter work?

A Light Beam Emitter works by converting electrical energy into light energy. This process involves exciting atoms or molecules in a medium, such as a gas or crystal, which then release photons, creating a beam of light. The type of light beam emitted depends on the medium and the type of energy used to excite it.

3. What are the practical applications of a Light Beam Emitter?

Light Beam Emitters have a wide range of practical applications in various fields, including telecommunications, medicine, imaging, and manufacturing. They are used in fiber optic communication systems, medical devices for treatments and diagnostics, imaging technologies such as microscopes and scanners, and in cutting and welding machines in manufacturing.

4. Can a Light Beam Emitter be harmful to humans?

Yes, a Light Beam Emitter can be harmful to humans if not used properly. High-powered lasers, for example, can cause eye damage if directly exposed to the beam. It is important to follow safety precautions and use protective gear when handling light beam emitters.

5. Are there any limitations to a Light Beam Emitter?

While Light Beam Emitters have many practical applications, they also have some limitations. For instance, the distance the beam can travel depends on factors such as the medium and the amount of energy used. Additionally, the beam can be affected by external factors such as dust and humidity, which can cause it to scatter or weaken.