Is this a typo? - Integral of fraction

In summary: X).Insummary, Anthonyk thinks that the problem has a typo because it is an easy integral and he differentiated the top to get 12x-5 all over 12x-5.
anthonyk2013
Part (1) of this question posted in post 3. Is it a type-o or correct. Not looking for solution.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, it appears to be so, from what I can see.

ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1420232795.902127.jpg

Forgot the image

What is a type-o? Or do you think it is a typo? Then type-o probably is a typo.
The integrals look ok so far.

Hint for part i): Try to rearrange ##6x^2-5x+3## into some polynome your can divide by ##12x-5## plus a constant.

Ya I differentiated the top and you get 12x-5 all over 12x-5.

Ah I see. Could be a typo. But this integral should be solvable as well.

Part 1&2 only worth 4% on exam paper. Seem like a but of work for 2%

Part 1&2 only worth 4% on exam paper. Seem like a but of work for 2%

Private theories are not allowed in this forum. :D But don't worry here. Sorry, I can only look at the math.

Anthonyk, why would you think the problem has a typo? This is an easy integral - just divide the numerator by the denominator.

Lecturer thinks it is because of the low mark. Looking back a previous exam papers made an assumption. If We are wrong I hold my hand up.

Mark44 said:
Anthonyk, why would you think the problem has a typo? This is an easy integral - just divide the numerator by the denominator.

That's are far as I got I had x-1.

Ya silly mistake by me.

ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1428103350.262848.jpg

Wondering the the solution the this question is right or wrong ?
Thanks

What happened in (4)? The denominators vanished?
Also, what happens if you differentiate your result? Do you get the initial fraction? This is often a very easy check you can always do if you are unsure.

The whole substitution is not helpful here. Posts 6 and 11 show the best approach.

This solution is from class. We were given a reason why that were moved but I can remember.
When studying on my own I divided the polynomial but the devision didn't look right. I'll attempt it again and post later. Thanks.

ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1428155238.504936.jpg

@anthonyk2013, once you've made it past grade school arithmetic, it's not a good idea to write fractions as mixed numbers (such as you have in your work). Instead of ##1 \frac 1 {24}## or ##1 \frac {23} {24}##, you really should write these as improper fractions, 25/24 and 47/24. Mixed numbers such as the ones you wrote are much harder to work with and can easily be confused if not written very carefully.

Ill finish later. Too many kids around[emoji86]

Thanks for the reminder mark44. Long time since i was in grade school as you call it

ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1428239530.213025.jpg

Latest attempt. Wondered if I'm right.

Integrating x/2 gave x2/2?
And check what you have in the denominators and logs - but I guess those are just typos.

Should be X2/4

1. What is a typo in the context of an integral of fraction?

A typo in this context refers to a mistake or error in the notation or calculation of an integral involving a fraction.

2. How can I identify if there is a typo in an integral of fraction?

One way to identify a potential typo is to check for any inconsistencies in the notation or values used in the integral. Another approach is to verify the solution using different methods or software.

3. Can a typo affect the accuracy of the integral of fraction?

Yes, a typo can significantly affect the accuracy of the integral. Even a small error in notation or calculation can result in a significantly different solution.

4. What should I do if I suspect a typo in an integral of fraction?

If you suspect a typo, it is best to double-check your work and make corrections if necessary. You can also seek help from a peer or consult with a professor or tutor.

5. Are there any techniques to avoid typos in integrals of fractions?

One helpful technique is to break down the integral into smaller, more manageable parts and check each step carefully. You can also use a calculator or software to verify your solution. Additionally, practicing and familiarizing yourself with the notation and rules of integration can help reduce the likelihood of making typos.