Is this a typo in an integral of a fraction problem?

  • Thread starter Thread starter anthonyk2013
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Fraction Integral
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
25 replies · 4K views
anthonyk2013
Messages
125
Reaction score
0
Part (1) of this question posted in post 3. Is it a type-o or correct. Not looking for solution.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, it appears to be so, from what I can see.
 
ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1420232795.902127.jpg
 
What is a type-o? Or do you think it is a typo? Then type-o probably is a typo.
The integrals look ok so far.
 
Hint for part i): Try to rearrange ##6x^2-5x+3## into some polynome your can divide by ##12x-5## plus a constant.
 
Ya I differentiated the top and you get 12x-5 all over 12x-5.
 
Ah I see. Could be a typo. But this integral should be solvable as well.
 
Part 1&2 only worth 4% on exam paper. Seem like a but of work for 2%
 
Part 1&2 only worth 4% on exam paper. Seem like a but of work for 2%

Private theories are not allowed in this forum. :D But don't worry here. Sorry, I can only look at the math.
 
Lecturer thinks it is because of the low mark. Looking back a previous exam papers made an assumption. If We are wrong I hold my hand up.
 
Mark44 said:
Anthonyk, why would you think the problem has a typo? This is an easy integral - just divide the numerator by the denominator.

That's are far as I got I had x-1.
 
ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1428103350.262848.jpg


Wondering the the solution the this question is right or wrong ?
Thanks
 
What happened in (4)? The denominators vanished?
Also, what happens if you differentiate your result? Do you get the initial fraction? This is often a very easy check you can always do if you are unsure.

The whole substitution is not helpful here. Posts 6 and 11 show the best approach.
 
This solution is from class. We were given a reason why that were moved but I can remember.
When studying on my own I divided the polynomial but the devision didn't look right. I'll attempt it again and post later. Thanks.
 
@anthonyk2013, once you've made it past grade school arithmetic, it's not a good idea to write fractions as mixed numbers (such as you have in your work). Instead of ##1 \frac 1 {24}## or ##1 \frac {23} {24}##, you really should write these as improper fractions, 25/24 and 47/24. Mixed numbers such as the ones you wrote are much harder to work with and can easily be confused if not written very carefully.
 
Ill finish later. Too many kids around[emoji86]
 
Thanks for the reminder mark44. Long time since i was in grade school as you call it