Is this how a coulomb is defined ?

• Thread starter Sam19KY
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Coulomb
In summary, a coulomb is the unit of electric charge in the International System of Units (SI). It is defined as the amount of electric charge that passes through a cross-section of a conductor in one second when the current is one ampere. The coulomb is defined as the amount of electric charge that is transported by a current of one ampere in one second. While not the same as an ampere, the two units are related through the equation Q = I * t. The coulomb is used to measure electric charge because it is a standard unit of the International System of Units (SI), providing an objective and consistent way to measure and compare charge. Additionally, a coulomb can be converted to other units
Sam19KY
Charge on one electron (elementary charge) = 1.60217662 × 10-19 coulombs.
Charge on 6.241509745 x 10^18 electrons is equal to 1 coulomb.
So the two values above are multiplied to give one coulomb of charge ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Since those numbers are inverses of each other, multiplying them together gives you 1.

What is a coulomb?

A coulomb is the unit of electric charge in the International System of Units (SI). It is defined as the amount of electric charge that passes through a cross-section of a conductor in one second when the current is one ampere.

How is a coulomb defined?

A coulomb is defined as the amount of electric charge that is transported by a current of one ampere in one second. This definition is based on the relationship between charge and current, as described by the equation Q = I * t, where Q is charge, I is current, and t is time.

Is the definition of a coulomb the same as the definition of an ampere?

No, the definition of a coulomb is not the same as the definition of an ampere. While a coulomb is a unit of electric charge, an ampere is a unit of electric current. However, the two units are related through the equation Q = I * t, where Q is charge, I is current, and t is time.

Why is a coulomb used to measure electric charge?

A coulomb is used to measure electric charge because it is a standard unit of the International System of Units (SI). It provides an objective and consistent way to measure and compare the amount of electric charge in different systems.

Can a coulomb be converted to other units of electric charge?

Yes, a coulomb can be converted to other units of electric charge, such as the statcoulomb or the abcoulomb. These units are related to the coulomb through conversion factors and are used in different contexts or systems of measurement.