Upper Level Math Courses: Is This Overkill?

• Thread starter Jawbreaker
  • Start date
In summary, the person is asking if their proposed schedule of taking E&M I, Modern Physics, PDE's with Fourier analysis, Vector & Tensor Analysis, and Planetary Geophysics is doable or overkill. They mention concerns about taking two upper level math courses and balancing a part-time job and research position. Others in the conversation share their opinions that as long as the prerequisites are met, the schedule should be fine and that upper level courses may not necessarily be more difficult. However, one person mentions that it is not an illusion and that harder courses can cause students with straight A's to struggle.
Jawbreaker
I know all your PF veterans may get sick of answering this question, but you have the experience I don't have yet so I'll ask anyways. Is this schedule overkill, or doable?

1. E&M I
2. Modern Physics
3. PDE's with Fourier analysis
4. Vector & Tensor Analysis
5. Planetary Geophysics

My main concern is about 3 & 4. I heard PDE's and Fourier series was important for E&M, hence me taking it concurrently. Vector and Tensor analysis is useful somewhere I know. General Relativity for sure. Would two upper level math courses be overkill? I know this is all subjective, but I don't want to get into too much than I can handle. I'll be also holding a part time job and possible research position. Thank you all for your imput. :biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
How much of the material did you cover through self-study?

Should be fine, it's somewhat of an illusion that upper year courses are more difficult than lower year courses. If you have the prerequisites then it shouldn't be a problem.

CaptainQuaser said:
Should be fine, it's somewhat of an illusion that upper year courses are more difficult than lower year courses. If you have the prerequisites then it shouldn't be a problem.
It isn't an illusion, there is more stuff per course the higher you get but you are expected to have matured intellectually so that you can learn faster and you are supposed to be more organized by the second/third year as well.
Many who have straight A's through the first parts starts to falter when they hit the harder courses.

Looks standard to me.

Klockan3 said:
Many who have straight A's through the first parts starts to falter when they hit the harder courses.

That's a big fear of mine.

1. What are upper level math courses and why are they important?

Upper level math courses are advanced courses that cover topics in mathematics beyond the introductory level. They are important because they provide a deeper understanding of mathematical concepts and prepare students for more advanced topics in their field of study.

2. How do upper level math courses differ from lower level courses?

Upper level math courses are typically more rigorous and cover more complex topics compared to lower level courses. They also require a strong foundation in basic math concepts and may involve more abstract thinking and problem-solving skills.

3. Do I need to take upper level math courses for my major?

This depends on your major and career goals. Some majors, such as math, engineering, and physics, require a strong understanding of upper level math courses. Other majors may only require a few upper level math courses or none at all.

4. Are upper level math courses necessary for graduate school?

It depends on the graduate program you are applying to. Some graduate programs, such as those in math or science, may require a strong background in upper level math courses. However, other programs may not have any specific math course requirements.

5. How can I succeed in upper level math courses?

To succeed in upper level math courses, it is important to have a solid foundation in basic math concepts and to stay organized and on top of the material. It is also helpful to seek help from professors or tutors if needed, and to practice regularly by solving problems and participating in class discussions.