1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is this overkill?

1. Jun 30, 2010 #1
    I know all your PF veterans may get sick of answering this question, but you have the experience I don't have yet so I'll ask anyways. Is this schedule overkill, or doable?

1. E&M I
    2. Modern Physics
    3. PDE's with Fourier analysis
    4. Vector & Tensor Analysis
    5. Planetary Geophysics

My main concern is about 3 & 4. I heard PDE's and Fourier series was important for E&M, hence me taking it concurrently. Vector and Tensor analysis is useful somewhere I know. General Relativity for sure. Would two upper level math courses be overkill? I know this is all subjective, but I don't want to get into too much than I can handle. I'll be also holding a part time job and possible research position. Thank you all for your imput. :biggrin:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 30, 2010 #2
    How much of the material did you cover through self-study?

4. Jul 1, 2010 #3
    Should be fine, it's somewhat of an illusion that upper year courses are more difficult than lower year courses. If you have the prerequisites then it shouldn't be a problem.

5. Jul 1, 2010 #4
    It isn't an illusion, there is more stuff per course the higher you get but you are expected to have matured intellectually so that you can learn faster and you are supposed to be more organized by the second/third year as well.
    Many who have straight A's through the first parts starts to falter when they hit the harder courses.

6. Jul 1, 2010 #5
    Looks standard to me.

That's a big fear of mine.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook