1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is this really a linear equation?

1. Sep 15, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The question is asking whether or not the given equations are linear. I am unsure whether this equation (below) is linear or not?

x1 + 5x2 - sqrt(2x3) = 1

3. The attempt at a solution

My initial answer is that it is not due to the fact that a linear equation does not contain any roots (mentioned in the textbook itself), however, the textbook answers show that the given equation is in fact a linear equation. Why is this possible?

Any help is greatly appreciated

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2011 #2
    I'm guessing the book is wrong in this instance. Linear equations have all variables with constant coefficients and variables to the 1st power.

4. Sep 15, 2011 #3
    Do x sub 1, 2, and 3 represent anything? Or did you mean to give them exponents?

5. Sep 15, 2011 #4
    I copied it straight from the text. x sub 1, 2 and 3 I assume are the 3 different x parameters

6. Sep 15, 2011 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I agree with daveb. The equation is not a linear equation.

7. Sep 15, 2011 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What is the exact wording of the question? This equation is linear "in [itex]x_1[/itex] and [itex]x_2[/itex]". It is NOT linear "in [itex]x_3[/itex]" or "in [itex]x_1[/itex], [itex]x_2[/itex], and [itex]x_3[/itex]"

8. Sep 15, 2011 #7
    I'll write it out again:

1) In each part, determine whether the equation is linear in x_1,x_2,x_3

a) x_1 + 5x_2 - sqrt(2x_3) = 1

the answer at the back of the book: Equation a) is a linear equation

9. Sep 15, 2011 #8

dynamicsolo

Homework Helper

The answer is wrong for the reason given by my colleagues above...

It would be interesting to know if the problem had been revised from a previous edition of the book; I've seen many cases of a problem being changed in a new edition without the author/editors going back and revising the answer. (My favorite was a physics text in which the question portion required a numerical answer, and the answer given in the back of the book was "Yes.")

10. Sep 16, 2011 #9

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

What are some of the other questions in this chapter? Do they all use this peculiar x_1 notation? Have you encountered this notation in any other questions in that textbook?

11. Sep 16, 2011 #10

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Using indices, or indexed variables such as [itex]x_i[/itex], is a standard notation in mathematics.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook