1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

G.P. = [itex] \sum_{n=1}^k a_{1}(\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_{n}})^{n-1} [/itex]

1. Jun 3, 2013 #1
    A geometric series is [itex]S_{n}= a_{1} + a_{2} + a_{3} + ...+ a_{n} = a_{1}r^{0} + a_{2}r^{1} + a_{3}r^{2} + ...+ a_{n}r^{n-1}[/itex]

In a geometric series, the first term = [itex]a_{1}[/itex]

The common ratio = [itex]\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_{n}}[/itex]

The nth term of a geometric sequence is [itex]a_{n}= a_{1}r^{n-1}= a_{1}(\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_{n}})^{n-1}[/itex]

The question is:

In the summand of the sigma notation, can the general term of geometric sequence formula be expressed this way:

[tex]S_{n}= \sum_{i=1}^n a_{1}r^{i-1} = \sum_{i=1}^n a_{1}(\frac{a_{i+1}}{a_{i}})^{i-1}[/tex]

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 3, 2013 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

It can, but why would you want to? It loses the information that the ratio is a constant.

4. Jun 3, 2013 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

The two expressions you show aren't equal unless r = 1.

You should write your (finite) geometric series like so:
    ##S_{n}= ar^{0} + ar^{1} + ar^{2} + ...+ ar^{n-1} ##

There is no need for subscripts in a geometric series. The first term is a, the next is ar, the one after that is ar2, and so on.
    The common ratio is r. Each term in the series is r times the previous term.
    The n-th term is arn-1.
    It's much simpler like this:
    $$S_n = \sum_{k = 0}^{n-1} ar^k$$

Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted