Is this the correct approach for using Taylor series in this problem?

In summary, the conversation is about a homework problem involving a voltage across a circuit with a resistor and an inductor, and using Taylor series to deduce an approximation for the current in the circuit if the resistance is small. The first step is to use the Taylor series expansion for the geometric series, but the next steps are uncertain.
Ironhorse1
Hi there! I need a bit of help on a homework problem. The problem is about a voltage (V) across a circuit with a resistor (R) and and inductor (L). The current at time "t" is:

I= (V/R)(1/e^(-RT/L)

And the problem asks me to use Taylor series to deduce that I is approximately equal to (Vt/L) if R is small.

I have started by trying to use the known Taylor Series expansion for the geometric series, (1/1-x) = 1+x+x^2+x^3+... replacing x with (V/R). I'm not sure what to do next, or if this was the right first step to take.

What do you think? I so very much appreciate any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Ironhorse said:
Hi there! I need a bit of help on a homework problem. The problem is about a voltage (V) across a circuit with a resistor (R) and and inductor (L). The current at time "t" is:

I= (V/R)(1/e^(-RT/L)

And the problem asks me to use Taylor series to deduce that I is approximately equal to (Vt/L) if R is small.

I have started by trying to use the known Taylor Series expansion for the geometric series, (1/1-x) = 1+x+x^2+x^3+... replacing x with (V/R). I'm not sure what to do next, or if this was the right first step to take.

What do you think? I so very much appreciate any help!

Hi Ironhorse! Welcome to MHB! (Smile)

Can it be that your current should be:
$$I = \frac V R \left(1 - e^{-Rt/L}\right)$$
?

The Taylor expansion for $e^x$ is:
$$e^x \approx 1 + x$$
if $x$ is small.
If we substitute that in what I think $I$ should be, we'll get the expression we're supposed to deduce.

Related to Is this the correct approach for using Taylor series in this problem?

What is a Taylor Series Application?

A Taylor Series Application is a mathematical tool used to approximate a complicated function with a polynomial function. It is named after mathematician Brook Taylor and is commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to solve complex problems.

How is a Taylor Series Application calculated?

A Taylor Series Application is calculated by taking the derivatives of a function at a specific point and using those derivatives to create a polynomial function. This polynomial function can then be used to approximate the original function at that specific point.

What are some common uses of Taylor Series Applications?

Taylor Series Applications are commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to approximate complex functions. They can also be used to find the values of trigonometric functions, logarithmic functions, and exponential functions.

What are the benefits of using a Taylor Series Application?

Using a Taylor Series Application allows for a more accurate approximation of a function compared to using simpler methods such as linear approximations. It also allows for the evaluation of functions at points where they may not be defined or difficult to evaluate.

What are the limitations of a Taylor Series Application?

A Taylor Series Application can only be used to approximate a function within a specific range, and the accuracy of the approximation decreases as the distance from the center point increases. It also requires knowledge of the derivatives of the original function, which may not always be readily available.