1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is this the right way to go about proving this?

1. Sep 13, 2006 #1
    I'm supposed to use the definition of limit to show that [tex]\lim_{\substack{x\rightarrow 3\\y\rightarrow -1}} f(x,y) = 5[/tex]

where [tex]f(x,y) = x - 2y[/tex]

I split the function into two: [tex]H(x,y) = x[/tex] and [tex]G(x,y) = -2y[/tex]
    It can be shown that H + G = f and that the addition of their limits equals the limit of f

So I let [tex]\epsilon > 0[/tex] and set [tex]\delta = \epsilon/2[/tex], so that whenever [tex]\sqrt{(x-3)^2+(y+1)^2} < \delta[/tex] then [tex]|H(x,y) - 3|= |x - 3| < \epsilon/2[/tex] and [tex]|G(x,y) - 2|= |-2y - 2|= 2 |y + 1| < \epsilon/2[/tex]
    [tex]|H(x,y) + G(x,y) - (3 + 2)| = |H(x,y) -3 + G(x,y) -2| = |(x-3) + 2(y+1)| <= |x-3| + |2 (y+1)| < 2 \sqrt{(x-3)^2+(y+1)^2} = 2 \delta = \epsilon [/tex]

So, what all is wrong?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2006 #2
    i think that your mistake is when you write [tex]\sqrt{[(x-3)^2+(y+1)^2]}<\delta[/tex]
    i think it should be [tex]|x-3|<\delta_1[/tex]
    and [tex]|y+1|<\delta_2[/tex]

Last edited: Sep 13, 2006
  4. Sep 13, 2006 #3
    Why is that?
    If my proof is wrong, can anybody explain how to make it right, please. I've never had to prove anything calc related before =/

5. Sep 13, 2006 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, that depends on exactly what your definition of limit (in R2) is!

The standard definition uses [itex]\sqrt{(x_1-x_0)^2+ (y_1-y_0)^2}[/itex] to measure the distance between points so [itex]\sqrt{(x-3)^2+ (y+1)^2}< \delta[/itex] would be correct. It is possible to define "distance between points" by max([itex]|x_1-x_0|, |y_1-y_0|[/itex]) so that loop quantum gravity's suggestion is possible but that is not the standard definition.

6. Sep 13, 2006 #5
    Thanks for the replies. =)

So is my proof correct?
    And if I used his way, woudl I have to Set [tex]\delta = min(\delta_1, \delta_2) = \epsilon/2[/tex]?

7. Sep 13, 2006 #6
    SOrry, I don't want to seem pushy, but I just want to know two things:
    1) Am I correct?
    2) Why or why not?

8. Sep 14, 2006 #7
    Oh crap, I forgot to write [tex]\delta = \epsilon/2[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?