1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is transcription a subprocess of translation in protein synthesis?

1. Mar 16, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Is transcription a subprocess of translation in protein synthesis?

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that transcripition consists of four processes
    1. activation
    2. initiatian
    3. elongenation
    4. termination

I know that protein synthesis consists the following steps.
    First, you have a gene that is three bases in the ribosome. The strand of three bases forms an amino acid. Subsequently, many single amino acids form an amino acid chain. The chain forms a protein and subsequently a protein chain.

I am not sure where the boundary between translation and transcription is if transcription is not a subprocess of translation.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2009 #2

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor

Transcription is a separate process from translation. In eukaryotic cells, transcription and translation occur in completely different parts of the cell. Transcription takes DNA from the nucleus of a cell and creates a messenger RNA molecule (mRNA). The mRNA is then transported out of nucleus and into the cytoplasm. There, ribosomes bind to the mRNA and read the mRNA three nucleotides at a time to produce a protein. So, the boundary between translation and transcription in eukaryotes is a physical boundary of the cell: the nuclear envelope.

You can basically think of transcription and translation as two sequential steps in the process of making a protein. Transcription creates an mRNA then hands the mRNA off to the translational machinery in order to make a protein.

4. Mar 17, 2009 #3
    I would like to add to your excellent answer.
    One of the chains in DNA is copied in transcription.
    This copy is mRNA. It contains the counter bases to the other chain in DNA.

So the boundary between transription and translation is the nuclear envelope.
    Everything which happens inside the nuclues belongs to transcription such as coping of rRNA from DNA.

Then again, processes which happen outside the nucleus belong to the
    translation. For example, the building up of a protein from a mRNA and a
    ribosome by Golgi's apparatus happens outside the nucleus.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook