Is (x,y)<(j,k) Defined as an Order Relation by x+k<y+j?

  • Thread starter Thread starter dpa
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Relation
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
dpa
Messages
146
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Q. Define an order relation
(x,y)<(j,k) if and only if x+k<y+j

Homework Equations


x<y means x+a=y and viceversa

The Attempt at a Solution


I have no idea. To show it is equivalence relation, I simply show that it is reflexive, transitive and symmetric. but how do I show it is order relation?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Order Relation (call it C)
1) For every x and y, with x not equal to y, xCy or yCx
2) xCx is never true
3) xCy, yCz implies xCz
 
dpa said:

Homework Statement



Q. Define an order relation
(x,y)<(j,k) if and only if x+k<y+j


Homework Equations


x<y means x+a=y and viceversa
With a> 0, of course.


The Attempt at a Solution


I have no idea. To show it is equivalence relation, I simply show that it is reflexive, transitive and symmetric. but how do I show it is order relation?
An order relation only has to be transitive.