Showing that cyclic groups of the same order are isomorphic

In summary, the conversation revolves around proving that any two cyclic groups of the same finite order are isomorphic. The attempted solution involves a map ##\phi## from one cyclic group to another, where ##\phi (x^k) = y^k##. However, it is pointed out that the function may not be well-defined, as there could be cases where ##x^k = x^l## but ##y^k \neq y^l##. Therefore, it is important to check if the map is well-defined before proving it is an isomorphism. This involves checking if the function is a homomorphism, injective, and surjective. As a general rule, it is always necessary to check
Mr Davis 97

Homework Statement

Prove that any two cyclic groups of the same finite order are isomorphic

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I began by looking at the map ##\phi : \langle x \rangle \to \langle y \rangle##, where ##\phi (x^k) = y^k##. So, I went through and showed that this is indeed an isomorphism. But when I looked at the proof in the book, is said that you first must show that this map ##\phi## is well-defined. My question here is when do I know when I should show explicitly whether a map is well-defined or not? To me it seemed relatively obvious, so I wouldn't have thought to...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Mr Davis 97 said:

Homework Statement

Prove that any two cyclic groups of the same finite order are isomorphic

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I began by looking at the map ##\phi : \langle x \rangle \to \langle y \rangle##, where ##\phi (x^k) = \phi (y^k)##. So, I went through and showed that this is indeed an isomorphism. But when I looked at the proof in the book, is said that you first must show that this map ##\phi## is well-defined. My question here is when do I know when I should show explicitly whether a map is well-defined or not? To me it seemed relatively obvious, so I wouldn't have thought to...

I think you made a mistake in the map.

Shouldn't it be:

##x^k \mapsto y^k##?

The problem here is that maybe ##x^k = x^l## for ##k \neq l##. In that case, you have to check that ##y^k = y^l##, or otherwise the function isn't well-defined.

This isn't as trivial as you think (well the proof is rather short but it makes use of a theorem you proved earlier).

Also, you have to check this is an isomorphism.

Is the function a homomorphism?
Is it injective?
Is it surjective?

The first two questions should be trivial, the last one follows because we have an injection from a set to another set with the same finite order.

Math_QED said:
I think you made a mistake in the map.

Shouldn't it be:

##x^k \mapsto y^k##?

The problem here is that maybe ##x^k = x^l## for ##k \neq l##. In that case, you have to check that ##y^k = y^l##, or otherwise the function isn't well-defined.

This isn't as trivial as you think (well the proof is rather short but it makes use of a theorem you proved earlier).

Also, you have to check this is an isomorphism.

Is the function a homomorphism?
Is it injective?
Is it surjective?

The first two questions should be trivial, the last one follows because we have an injection from a set to another set with the same finite order.
So what in general distinguishes maps that need to be checked for "well-definedness" and ones that don't? How could I tell at a glance that I should question whether one is well-defined or not? Does it have something to do with an element of the domain having more than one representation?

Mr Davis 97 said:
So what in general distinguishes maps that need to be checked for "well-definedness" and ones that don't? How could I tell at a glance that I should question whether one is well-defined or not? Does it have something to do with an element of the domain having more than one representation?

You should always check whether a map is well defined. I once wrote an entire answer to this exact same question of you. Maybe you didn't read it then. Let me know if it was useful:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/how-to-prove-that-a-function-is-well-defined.920532/

As a rule of thumbs, always check if a map is well-defined. Certainly when dealing with stuff that has more than 1 representation (equivalence classes, fractions, ...).

What is a cyclic group?

A cyclic group is a type of group in abstract algebra that is generated by a single element and has a finite order. In other words, it is a group that can be written as a power of a single element.

How do you show that two cyclic groups of the same order are isomorphic?

To show that two cyclic groups of the same order are isomorphic, you must find a bijection (a one-to-one correspondence) between the two groups that preserves the group operation. This means that the elements in one group must map to the elements in the other group in a way that maintains the group structure.

Is every cyclic group of the same order isomorphic to each other?

Yes, every cyclic group of the same order is isomorphic to each other. This is because the defining characteristic of a cyclic group is its order, so two cyclic groups with the same order must have the same structure and can be mapped to each other in a one-to-one correspondence.

Can cyclic groups of different orders be isomorphic?

No, cyclic groups of different orders cannot be isomorphic. This is because the order of a cyclic group is a fundamental characteristic that determines its structure, so groups with different orders cannot have the same structure and therefore cannot be isomorphic.

How do you prove that a bijection between two cyclic groups preserves the group operation?

To prove that a bijection between two cyclic groups preserves the group operation, you must show that the mapping of the group operation from one group to the other is consistent and maintains the group structure. This can be done by examining the properties and relationships between the elements and the group operation in both groups.