1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Isn't the normal acceleration always towards the center?

1. Feb 20, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    2. Relevant equations

See attachment

3. The attempt at a solution
    I solved the problem (on the same page as problem, written in pencil) but the direction of the acceleration that I calculated is different, I dont understand why my answer is wrong if the normal acceleration always towards the center and the tangent acceleration is suppossed to be clockwise.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2007 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Yes, the radial acceleration is towards the center. But I don't see why you think your solution is different from the book's. Seems to me you are just measuring your angle from a different reference direction--they measure from the horizontal, you from the vertical.

4. Feb 21, 2007 #3
    I think I measured from the horizontal, thats why I think my answer is different from the books, see diagram. Thanks!

Attached Files:

5. Feb 21, 2007 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Looks to me like your diagram is sideways, compared to the original diagram given with the problem. What you call "horizontal" appears as vertical in the original diagram.

6. Feb 21, 2007 #5
    You are absolutely right, drew my acceleration vectors on the right side of the pulley, where there is no conveyor belt, thats why I got confused. Ok, thanks you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?