Isochoric depressurization of distilled water question

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential for a volume of highly pressurized distilled water to dissipate its internal pressure through thermalization when rapidly de-pressurized. The question arises whether this process would result in an increase in water temperature, and it is noted that water is not completely incompressible. It is ultimately concluded that there would be no significant increase in temperature due to the negligible work done by the tiny expansion.
meemoe_uk
If a volume of highly pressurized distilled water was rapidly de-pressurized, but kept the same volume, would the internal pressure within the volume dissipate by thermalization? If so, how much would the water heat up for say 5km beneath sea level to above sea level pressure?
I'm thinking internal pressure is a potential energy, this works for steam where pressure is released by change in volume ( made useful with steam engines ). But water doesn't change volume much under pressure, so I wasn't sure if it worked the same.

I know fluids will release energy if depressurized suddenly if they have a outgassing outlet, ( e.g. champange uncorked ). But its interesting to know if without a gas \ volume outlet a volume of distilled water would react to rapid depressurization. The only way I can think it could do this is thermalize its internal pressure.

my thermodynamics is a bit rusty. Wondered if anyone knew.

Physics news on Phys.org
Water is not completely incompressible. How do you de-pressurize it without changing volume?
No, it would not heat up. There is only negligible work done by the tiny expansion, and that is cooling it.

1. What is isochoric depressurization?

Isochoric depressurization is a process in which the pressure of a system is decreased while its volume remains constant. This means that the system is not allowed to expand or contract during the process.

2. How is isochoric depressurization used in the context of distilled water?

In the context of distilled water, isochoric depressurization refers to the process of reducing the pressure of the water without allowing it to boil. This results in the water remaining in its liquid state, but with a lower pressure than before.

3. What is the purpose of isochoric depressurization in the production of distilled water?

The purpose of isochoric depressurization in the production of distilled water is to remove any dissolved gases or impurities from the water. By decreasing the pressure, these substances can be released from the water without causing it to boil and potentially lose some of its volume.

4. How does isochoric depressurization affect the properties of distilled water?

Isochoric depressurization does not significantly affect the chemical properties of distilled water since it does not involve any chemical reactions. However, it can affect the physical properties of the water such as its density, viscosity, and boiling point.

5. Are there any safety concerns associated with isochoric depressurization of distilled water?

There are no major safety concerns associated with isochoric depressurization of distilled water. However, caution should be taken to ensure that the pressure is decreased slowly and gradually to avoid any sudden changes in pressure which could potentially cause the water to boil and lead to splashing or spilling.