1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Isolated Systems, with ##\Delta E_{th}##

1. Jul 5, 2014 #1

Zondrina

Homework Helper

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A ##m = 2.0 kg## box slides along a floor with speed ##v_1 = 4.0 \frac{m}{s}##. It then runs into and compresses a spring until the box stops. Its path to the initially relaxed spring is frictionless ##(F_f = 0)##, but as it compresses the spring, kinetic friction with a magnitude of ##F_k = 15 N## acts on the box.

If ##k = 10 000 \frac{N}{m}##, what is the compression of the spring when the box stops? What is the coefficient of kinetic friction?

2. Relevant equations

Here's a FBD of the box i drew: http://gyazo.com/886409de36e80192b30e873d0160970a

Up and right are positive.

##ΔE_T = ΔE_{mech} + ΔE_{th} + ΔE_{int} = W, \quad (1)##

3. The attempt at a solution

The scenario indicates that ##F_N## and ##F_g## do no work at any time as there is no vertical displacement. ##F_s## and ##F_k## do work on the box when it comes into contact with the spring wall.

The earth, box and spring-wall form an isolated system. We know that in an isolated system, the total energy ##E_T## cannot change. That is, ##ΔE_T = 0##. Hence ##(1)## can be re-written as:

##ΔE_{mech} + ΔE_{th} + ΔE_{int} = 0##​

The internal energy in this case is zero, and we can reduce the equation further to:

##ΔK + ΔU + F_k d = 0##
    ##\frac{1}{2} m (v_f^2 - v_i^2) + \frac{1}{2}kd^2 + F_k d = 0##
    ##\frac{1}{2} (2.0) (0^2 - (4.0)^2) + \frac{1}{2}(10 000) d^2 + (15) d = 0##
    ##5000d^2 + 15d - 16 = 0##​

which is quadratic in ##d##. Solving I get ##d = 0.055 m##.

Now we know that ##\mu_k = \frac{F_k}{F_N}##. Hence:

##\sum F_y = 0 \Rightarrow F_N = F_g = (2.0)(9.81) N##

Therefore, ##\mu_k = \frac{F_k}{F_N} = \frac{15}{(2.0)(9.81)} = 0.764 = 0.76##.

If someone could help me by looking over this and telling me if it sounds okay, it would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 5, 2014 #2

Nathanael

Homework Helper

It all looks good to me, well done.

4. Jul 5, 2014 #3

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Thank you.

I'm trying to get into the physics groove again for the summer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted