Isolated Systems, with ##\Delta E_{th}##

• Thread starter STEMucator
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Systems
In summary: I'm reading a book on mechanics and I came across a problem that I could not solve. The scenario is as follows: A box slides along a floor with speed v_1 = 4.0 \frac{m}{s} . It then runs into and compresses a spring until the box stops. Its path to the initially relaxed spring is frictionless (F_f = 0). But as it compresses the spring, kinetic friction with a magnitude of F_k = 15 N acts on the box. If k = 10 000 \frac{N}{m} , what is the compression of the spring when the box stops? What is the coefficient of kinetic friction?I tried to solve for the variables using the equation for
STEMucator
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

A ##m = 2.0 kg## box slides along a floor with speed ##v_1 = 4.0 \frac{m}{s}##. It then runs into and compresses a spring until the box stops. Its path to the initially relaxed spring is frictionless ##(F_f = 0)##, but as it compresses the spring, kinetic friction with a magnitude of ##F_k = 15 N## acts on the box.

If ##k = 10 000 \frac{N}{m}##, what is the compression of the spring when the box stops? What is the coefficient of kinetic friction?

Homework Equations

Here's a FBD of the box i drew: http://gyazo.com/886409de36e80192b30e873d0160970a

Up and right are positive.

##ΔE_T = ΔE_{mech} + ΔE_{th} + ΔE_{int} = W, \quad (1)##

The Attempt at a Solution

The scenario indicates that ##F_N## and ##F_g## do no work at any time as there is no vertical displacement. ##F_s## and ##F_k## do work on the box when it comes into contact with the spring wall.

The earth, box and spring-wall form an isolated system. We know that in an isolated system, the total energy ##E_T## cannot change. That is, ##ΔE_T = 0##. Hence ##(1)## can be re-written as:

##ΔE_{mech} + ΔE_{th} + ΔE_{int} = 0##​

The internal energy in this case is zero, and we can reduce the equation further to:

##ΔK + ΔU + F_k d = 0##
##\frac{1}{2} m (v_f^2 - v_i^2) + \frac{1}{2}kd^2 + F_k d = 0##
##\frac{1}{2} (2.0) (0^2 - (4.0)^2) + \frac{1}{2}(10 000) d^2 + (15) d = 0##
##5000d^2 + 15d - 16 = 0##​

which is quadratic in ##d##. Solving I get ##d = 0.055 m##.

Now we know that ##\mu_k = \frac{F_k}{F_N}##. Hence:

##\sum F_y = 0 \Rightarrow F_N = F_g = (2.0)(9.81) N##

Therefore, ##\mu_k = \frac{F_k}{F_N} = \frac{15}{(2.0)(9.81)} = 0.764 = 0.76##.

If someone could help me by looking over this and telling me if it sounds okay, it would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
It all looks good to me, well done.

Likes 1 person
Nathanael said:
It all looks good to me, well done.

Thank you.

I'm trying to get into the physics groove again for the summer.

1. What is an isolated system?

An isolated system is a physical system that does not exchange energy or matter with its surroundings. This means that the total energy and mass of the system remains constant over time.

2. What is the significance of ΔEth in isolated systems?

ΔEth is the change in thermal energy of an isolated system. In an isolated system, energy can only be exchanged in the form of heat, and ΔEth represents the net change in thermal energy within the system.

3. How does an isolated system differ from a closed system?

An isolated system does not exchange energy or matter with its surroundings, while a closed system can exchange energy but not matter. In other words, an isolated system has no external interactions, while a closed system can have energy but not mass transfer in or out.

4. Can an isolated system be created in the real world?

It is difficult to create a perfectly isolated system in the real world, as there will always be some level of energy or matter exchange with the surroundings. However, certain systems, such as a well-insulated thermos, can come close to being isolated systems.

5. What are some examples of isolated systems?

An example of an isolated system is a sealed container of gas, where there is no exchange of energy or matter with the surroundings. Another example could be a planet in space, where the energy and matter within the planet remain constant due to the lack of external interactions.