How much extra force is needed to pull a heavier toboggan?

• Thread starter STEMucator
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Friction
In summary: That's 154N, not 154.4N.In summary, a 15kg toboggan is pulled at a constant speed by a horizontal force of 22N. The force of gravity on the toboggan is 147N and the kinetic friction coefficient is 0.15. An additional force of 154N is needed to pull the toboggan if 105kg is added to its weight.
STEMucator
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

A 15kg toboggan is pulled across the snow at a constant speed by a horizontal force of 22N.

a) What is the force of gravity on the toboggan?
b) What is ##μ_k##?
c) How much more force is needed to pull the toboggan if 105kg is added to the toboggan?

Homework Equations

##m = 15kg##
##a = 9.8 m/s^2##
##F_A = 22N## [Applied force]
##F_N## [Force normal]
##F_K## [Kinetic force/Friction]

The Attempt at a Solution

a) ##F_G = ma = (15 kg)(9.8 m/s^2) = 147N##

b) The toboggan travels at a constant velocity ( a = 0 ) with no ups and downs. This implies that ##F_N = F_G = 147N## and ##F_K = F_A = 22N##

Now ##F_K = μ_KF_N \Rightarrow μ_K = \frac{F_K}{F_N}##

So that ##μ_K = \frac{22N}{147N} = 0.15##.

c) Hm so the total weight of the toboggan will now be ##m = 120kg## and we have the kinetic friction coefficient ##μ_K = 0.15##.

Would it just be :

##F_K = μ_Kma = (0.15)(120 kg)(9.8 m/s^2) = 176.4N##

So we would require 176.4N+22N = 198.4N more to keep the toboggan at a constant velocity. Is this okay?

Physics news on Phys.org
Zondrina said:

Homework Statement

A 15kg toboggan is pulled across the snow at a constant speed by a horizontal force of 22N.

a) What is the force of gravity on the toboggan?
b) What is ##μ_k##?
c) How much more force is needed to pull the toboggan if 105kg is added to the toboggan?

Homework Equations

##m = 15kg##
##a = 9.8 m/s^2##
##F_A = 22N## [Applied force]
##F_N## [Force normal]
##F_K## [Kinetic force/Friction]

The Attempt at a Solution

a) ##F_G = ma = (15 kg)(9.8 m/s^2) = 147N##

b) The toboggan travels at a constant velocity ( a = 0 ) with no ups and downs. This implies that ##F_N = F_G = 147N## and ##F_K = F_A = 22N##

Now ##F_K = μ_KF_N \Rightarrow μ_K = \frac{F_K}{F_N}##

So that ##μ_K = \frac{22N}{147N} = 0.15##.

c) Hm so the total weight of the toboggan will now be ##m = 120kg## and we have the kinetic friction coefficient ##μ_K = 0.15##.

Would it just be :

##F_K = μ_Kma = (0.15)(120 kg)(9.8 m/s^2) = 176.4N##

So we would require 176.4N+22N = 198.4N more to keep the toboggan at a constant velocity. Is this okay?

Are you sure you should add 22N at the end.

Have you calculated the force needed for the loaded toboggan, or the the extra force needed for the load?

I think PeterO says it all

You're right. My first instinct was 176.4N was the answer. Then I second guessed myself for a moment.

So we would need 176.4N to pull to toboggan.

Be careful of the question. It asks for how much MORE force is needed, not how much force is needed.

barryj said:
Be careful of the question. It asks for how much MORE force is needed, not how much force is needed.

Then I would need 176.4N - 22N = 154.4N MORE force to pull the toboggan.

176.4N Is the force needed to pull the toboggan while 154.4N is how much more force I need to move the toboggan as compared to when the toboggan didn't have as much mass ( It only required 22N ).

Correct

Zondrina said:
Then I would need 176.4N - 22N = 154.4N MORE force to pull the toboggan.

176.4N Is the force needed to pull the toboggan while 154.4N is how much more force I need to move the toboggan as compared to when the toboggan didn't have as much mass ( It only required 22N ).
You seem to have introduced an error of 0.4N. 105kg is exactly 7 times 15kg, so the extra force should be exactly 7 times 22N.

1. How does friction affect the speed of a toboggan?

Friction is a force that opposes motion. In the case of a toboggan, friction between the toboggan and the surface it is sliding on can slow down the toboggan's speed. The rougher the surface, the more friction there will be, resulting in a slower speed.

2. Does the weight of the toboggan affect friction?

Yes, the weight of the toboggan can affect the amount of friction. A heavier toboggan will have more weight pushing down on the surface, increasing the force of friction and slowing down the toboggan's speed.

3. How can you reduce friction on a toboggan?

There are a few ways to reduce friction on a toboggan. One way is to use wax or a non-stick spray on the bottom of the toboggan to make it more slippery. Another way is to choose a smoother surface to slide on, such as a well-packed snow or ice.

4. How does the angle of the slope affect friction for a toboggan?

The steeper the slope, the more friction there will be between the toboggan and the surface. This is because a steeper slope will cause the toboggan to push against the surface more, resulting in a slower speed. On the other hand, a shallower slope will have less friction and allow the toboggan to slide faster.

5. Can friction be beneficial for a toboggan?

Yes, in some cases, friction can be beneficial for a toboggan. For example, if the surface is too slippery, friction can help to slow down the toboggan and prevent it from sliding too fast. Additionally, friction can also help to keep the toboggan on track and prevent it from veering off course.