Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Isomery question

1. May 22, 2013 #1
    The compound below is cis or trans?

Fluoromethylpentene.png

I learned that when the same ligants are at the same side of the bond, the isomerer is -cis, and when they are across, it is -trans. So I would say it is a cis compound

Wikipedia, though, sai it is trans. They consider the backbone chain ligants. If the backbonechain ligants are at the same side it's cis, otherside, trans.

So everything I learned was fake? I've seen nowhere else to treat cis/trans isomerer considering the backbone chain. What's the real answer?

Thanks
    John

2. jcsd
  3. May 22, 2013 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

cis-trans works for simple molecules, when it is obvious with substituents are the important ones - say but-2-ene - two methyls and two hydrogens, so it is obvious that we mean methyls to be cis or trans. In the case of a molecule like the one you posted it becomes more difficult, as it is not necessarily clear which two substituents are the important ones. Here it is better to use E/Z notation, as it is unambiguous.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook