Isomorphic transformation question

In summary, there is a transformation T:R^4 ->R^4, where dim Im(T+I)=dim Ker(3I-T)=2. To prove that T-I is isomorphic, we can use the fact that T(x)=\lambda x defines the notion of eigenvalue for a transformation. From this, we can see that the eigenvectors of T are the elements of Ker(T-\lambda I), and lambda is the corresponding eigenvalue. By using the fact that dim Ker(T+I)=2, we can conclude that the eigenvalue for T is -1 with a multiplicity of 2. This means that the vectors in Ker(T+I) are the eigenvectors of T with eigenvalue
nhrock3
there is a transformation T:R^4 ->R^4

so

dim Im(T+I)=dim Ker(3I-T)=2

prove that T-I is isomorphic

first of all i couldn't understand the first equation

because T is a transformation which is basicly a function

but I is the identity matrices

so its like adding kilograms to tempreture.

then my prof told me that here I is a transformation too

that its not a matrix

its the identity transformation.

and i was told that i need to get the eigenvectors from there

so i told him

"how i don't have any matrix here to do

|A-labdaI|=0

i don't have any matrices only some transformation

which i don't have even the formula to T in order to get the representing matrices out if it

how to find eigen vectors from here

?

and how to proceed in order to prove that

T-I

is isomorphic

?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi nhrock3! :smile:

Matrices and transformations are equivalent. Given a matrix, there is a corresponding transformation and vice versa. Thus we can define the notion of eigenvalue for a transformation by

[tex]T(x)=\lambda x[/tex]

thus the eigenvectors of T are the elements of

[tex]Ker(T-\lambda I)[/tex]

and lambda is the corresponding eigenvalue.

Now, can you use the fact that

[tex]dim Ker(T+I)=2[/tex]

to find an eigenvalue of T? And what multiplicity does the eigenvalue have?

micromass said:
Hi nhrock3! :smile:

Matrices and transformations are equivalent. Given a matrix, there is a corresponding transformation and vice versa. Thus we can define the notion of eigenvalue for a transformation by

[tex]T(x)=\lambda x[/tex]

thus the eigenvectors of T are the elements of

and lambda is the corresponding eigenvalue.

Now, can you use the fact that

[tex]dim Ker(T+I)=2[/tex]

to find an eigenvalue of T? And what multiplicity does the eigenvalue have?

i don't understand the transition
i know that
[tex]T(v)=Av=\lambda v[/tex]
its the definition of the link between eigen vectors and eigen values

Ker(T+I) means (T+I)(v)=0

but T and I are both transformation
so i can't use it like here
because
in here
I is a mtrix
but my I is the identity transformation
its a function not a matrix

Last edited:
ok i understand your idea
that
Ker(T+I) meand the eigen vectors of eigenvalue -1
but still matheticly
i need to replace T with some matrices and I (the transformation) needs to be I(the identety matrix)

Why do you change everything to matrices?? You can do that, of course, but you can leave everything in transformation form too.

Saying that the vectors in

[tex]Ker(T+I)[/tex]

are the eigenvectors of T with eigenvalue -1, is perfectly fine for transformations. There's no need to change everything to matrices. But you can change to matrices if it's easier for you...

1. What is an isomorphic transformation?

An isomorphic transformation is a mathematical concept where two objects or systems are transformed in a way that preserves their structure and relationships. This means that the transformed objects are essentially the same as the original ones, just in a different form or representation.

2. How is isomorphic transformation different from other types of transformations?

Unlike other transformations, such as translation or rotation, isomorphic transformations do not change the fundamental properties or relationships of the objects being transformed. Instead, they only change the way the objects are represented or expressed.

3. What are some examples of isomorphic transformations in science?

Isomorphic transformations can be found in various fields of science, such as in chemistry where the same chemical compound can have different structural representations, or in biology where different species may have similar genetic codes. In physics, isomorphic transformations can be seen in the mathematical transformation of equations to simplify or solve problems.

4. Can isomorphic transformations be applied to real-world problems?

Yes, isomorphic transformations have practical applications in various fields, including computer science, economics, and social sciences. They can be used to simplify complex systems, analyze data, and make predictions.

5. How is isomorphic transformation useful in science?

Isomorphic transformations are useful in science as they allow for the comparison and analysis of complex systems by breaking them down into simpler, equivalent forms. This can help scientists better understand and explain phenomena, make predictions, and identify patterns and relationships.