Isothermal expansion of gas question

In summary, the conversation is discussing an isothermal reversible expansion with pV=constant, taking a system from State A to State B. The pressure of State A is 50 x 10^5 Pa and the pressure of State B is 12.5 x 10^5 Pa. The system is also taken from State A to State B in two irreversible steps. The homework equation pV=constant is mentioned and there is discussion about the entropy change and number of microstates for the system during expansion. It is mentioned that the entropy change in an isothermal process is not always zero and is also a function of pressure. It is possible to solve the problem using the given information, but the full problem statement is needed to determine
paulnz
Hello, I am just wondering if it is possible to actually do the following question based on the information given

Homework Statement

An isothermal reversible expansion, for which pV=constant as shown by the curve

joining State A and State B, takes a system from State A to State B along the curved

line on the diagram above. The pressure of State A is 50 x 10^5 Pa and the pressure of

State B is 12.5 x 10^5 Pa. The system is also taken from State A to State B in two

irreversible steps as indicated by the pathways I and II in the diagram. Each irreversible

step involves expansion against a constant external pressure.

If the system is an ideal gas determine the entropy change for the reversible

expansion from State A to State B, and calculate the increase in the number of

microstates for the system during expansion.

Homework Equations

pV=constant

The Attempt at a Solution

I would have thought you would have required the number of moles of the gas to solve the problem, but I could be wrong? That's what is confusing me. Unless the fact that pV= constant has something to do with it?

attached is the graph as the problem requires.

Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• isothermal image.jpg
    isothermal image.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 458
Physics news on Phys.org
The entropy change in an isothermal process is zero. @Chestermiller... Is this correct? I got a doubt because the question is long and such a simple answer COULD be wrong.

CrazyNinja said:
The entropy change in an isothermal process is zero. @Chestermiller... Is this correct?
No, not in general. Why would you think this?

Q=0. There is no energy exchanged. How will the entropy change?

CrazyNinja said:
Q=0. There is no energy exchanged. How will the entropy change?
Who says Q=0 for all isothermal processes? What if work is done? Then Q = W.

Wait. Did I say Q=0? Forgive me. I meant ΔT=0.

CrazyNinja said:
Wait. Did I say Q=0? Forgive me. I meant ΔT=0.
Entropy is not just a function of temperature. It is also a function of pressure (or volume).

OK. I guess I have to look up entropy again. By the way, can we do this question using the given information? If yes, then say so, but do not write solution. I will try it out.

CrazyNinja said:
OK. I guess I have to look up entropy again. By the way, can we do this question using the given information? If yes, then say so, but do not write solution. I will try it out.
Yes (per mole, unless they tell you the number of moles or the temperature). The OP has not shown the full problem statement, so it not clear whether the temperature was given.

Last edited:
Likes CrazyNinja

1. What is isothermal expansion of gas?

The isothermal expansion of gas refers to a process in which the volume of a gas increases while its temperature remains constant. This can occur when a gas is allowed to expand in a container that is maintained at a constant temperature.

2. What is the ideal gas law and how does it relate to isothermal expansion?

The ideal gas law is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between the pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles of a gas. In an isothermal expansion, the temperature remains constant, so the ideal gas law can be simplified to PV = constant.

3. What is the difference between isothermal expansion and adiabatic expansion?

In isothermal expansion, the temperature of the gas remains constant, while in adiabatic expansion, there is no exchange of heat between the gas and its surroundings. This means that the temperature of the gas can change in adiabatic expansion, while it remains constant in isothermal expansion.

4. What are some real-world examples of isothermal expansion?

Some real-world examples of isothermal expansion include the expansion of air in a balloon when placed in a room at a constant temperature, the operation of a steam engine, and the compression and expansion of air in a refrigerator or air conditioner.

5. How is isothermal expansion used in industrial processes?

Isothermal expansion is commonly used in industrial processes that involve gases, such as in the production of electricity, chemical reactions, and refrigeration. By maintaining a constant temperature, the expansion of gases can be controlled and utilized for various purposes.