Isotope measurements in molecules

In summary, the conversation discusses the availability of data on a diatomic molecular isotopic chain with at least three isotopes and a ground state of ##^{2}\Sigma##. The participants mention accurate calculations and molecules of interest, but note that the data may be calculated rather than measured. They also mention the desire for molecular parameters associated with the energy level and discuss the possibility of using a larger molecule such as H2+.
BillKet
Hello! Is there any measurement (can be from different papers/experiments) of a diatomic molecular isotopic chain (i.e. at least 3 isotopes of a given nucleus) where the ground state is ##^{2}\Sigma##?

Physics news on Phys.org
I suppose you can find data on HeH+, HeD+ and HeT+.
There are accurate calculations:
https://aip.scitation.org/doi/10.1063/1.4759077
These molecules are of great interest, as they form in the decay of TH, TD and T_2 which are intensively studied in the context of measuring the mass of neutrinos.

DrDu said:
I suppose you can find data on HeH+, HeD+ and HeT+.
There are accurate calculations:
https://aip.scitation.org/doi/10.1063/1.4759077
These molecules are of great interest, as they form in the decay of TH, TD and T_2 which are intensively studied in the context of measuring the mass of neutrinos.
Thank you! But these seems to be calculated not measured? Also they don't list the molecular parameters associated to that energy level, which is what I actually need.

They would be singlets, wouldn't they? You want something like H2+.

mjc123 said:
They would be singlets, wouldn't they? You want something like H2+.
That's also true (honestly I would prefer something bigger than hydrogen, tho)

What are isotopes?

Isotopes are atoms of the same element that have the same number of protons but different numbers of neutrons. This results in isotopes having different atomic weights.

Why are isotope measurements important in studying molecules?

Isotope measurements allow scientists to determine the composition and structure of molecules. By measuring the ratios of different isotopes in a molecule, scientists can gain insight into its origin, formation, and chemical reactions.

How are isotope measurements performed?

Isotope measurements are typically performed using mass spectrometry, a technique that separates and measures the masses of different isotopes in a sample. Other methods include nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy and infrared (IR) spectroscopy.

What is the significance of isotope fractionation in molecules?

Isotope fractionation refers to the natural process of separating isotopes in a molecule due to differences in their physical or chemical properties. This can provide valuable information about the conditions and processes involved in the formation of the molecule.

What are some applications of isotope measurements in molecules?

Isotope measurements have a wide range of applications in various fields, including geology, biology, environmental science, and forensics. They can be used to study climate change, trace the movement of pollutants, and identify the source of a substance.