Issues with my investigation in capacitance

In summary, the researcher is trying to measure the effect of dielectric size on the time constant of a capacitor, but is having trouble because of the large parasitic capacitance in their setup.
Filippo Ficarra
This is a simpler issue but I need some help nonetheless. I have been carrying out an investigation on how the dielectric size of a capacitor affects its time constant. In theory the larger the dielectric the smaller the capacitance and therefore the smaller the time constant. However although I am changing my dielectric by 5 mm at a time every single time I have measured the time constant with an oscilloscope I get the same value for the time constant of 302 ms which is also off of the theoretical value by a factor of ten. I think it may be due to the fact that my capacitor is in the pico farad range therefore it is hard to measure acureately.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Filippo Ficarra said:
This is a simpler issue but I need some help nonetheless. I have been carrying out an investigation on how the dielectric size of a capacitor affects its time constant. In theory the larger the dielectric the smaller the capacitance and therefore the smaller the time constant. However although I am changing my dielectric by 5 mm at a time every single time I have measured the time constant with an oscilloscope I get the same value for the time constant of 302 ms which is also off of the theoretical value by a factor of ten. I think it may be due to the fact that my capacitor is in the pico farad range therefore it is hard to measure acureately.
Yes, it sounds like the parasitic capacitance of your setup is too large. Can you post a schematic and picture of your setup? :smile:

Likes Filippo Ficarra
berkeman said:
Yes, it sounds like the parasitic capacitance of your setup is too large. Can you post a schematic and picture of your setup? :smile:
http://imgur.com/a/0Sm5z here is the link to my setup image. The resistor is 100 k ohm btw.

Filippo Ficarra said:
http://imgur.com/a/0Sm5z here is the link to my setup image. The resistor is 100 k ohm btw.
Yeah, looks like many tens of pF in just the setup and wiring alone. What are you using for an oscilloscope? Can you compensate the probe capacitance, or are the probes too simple?

You can look into how oscilloscope probe capacitance can be nulled out, to see if you can use a similar technique on your setup (after making all of the connections as small and tight and low-capacitance as possible)...

berkeman said:
Yeah, looks like many tens of pF in just the setup and wiring alone. What are you using for an oscilloscope? Can you compensate the probe capacitance, or are the probes too simple?

You can look into how oscilloscope probe capacitance can be nulled out, to see if you can use a similar technique on your setup (after making all of the connections as small and tight and low-capacitance as possible)...
Ok my school did not have an accurate oscilloscope so I am using logger pro to collect my data. I set it to collect 6 seconds and it takes samples every 100 milliseconds while the capacitor discharges. Is it possible that since many wires are involved their is some stray capacitance that is affecting my data?

Filippo Ficarra said:
Ok my school did not have an accurate oscilloscope so I am using logger pro to collect my data. I set it to collect 6 seconds and it takes samples every 100 milliseconds while the capacitor discharges. Is it possible that since many wires are involved their is some stray capacitance that is affecting my data?
Yes, that setup will not work for measuring the effects of small capacitors. You could probably measure caps in the several uF range, but not down in the pF range.

Are you familiar with opamp circuits? You could build a circuit with a few opamps that would isolate the capacitance and buffer the signals to minimize the effects of stray capacitance. You could even "bootstrap" the stray capacitance with opamps to effectively null it out... :smile:

berkeman said:
Yes, that setup will not work for measuring the effects of small capacitors. You could probably measure caps in the several uF range, but not down in the pF range.

Are you familiar with opamp circuits? You could build a circuit with a few opamps that would isolate the capacitance and buffer the signals to minimize the effects of stray capacitance. You could even "bootstrap" the stray capacitance with opamps to effectively null it out... :smile:
I will look into that but thanks for your help

You're welcome. You might try Googling something like Measuring Small Capacitance Using Opamps... :smile:

EDIT -- use Google Images...

1. What is capacitance and why is it important in scientific investigations?

Capacitance is the ability of a system to store an electric charge, measured in Farads. It is important in scientific investigations because it helps us understand the behavior of electrical circuits and the flow of electricity.

2. What are some common issues that can arise when conducting an investigation involving capacitance?

Some common issues include inaccurate measurements due to external interference, insufficient knowledge of the circuit being tested, and equipment malfunctions. Other issues can include improper setup or lack of understanding of how to properly interpret the data.

3. How can I troubleshoot issues with capacitance in my investigation?

One way to troubleshoot is by double-checking all connections and ensuring that the equipment is functioning properly. It is also important to have a thorough understanding of the circuit and to use proper measuring techniques. If issues persist, seeking guidance from a more experienced scientist or consulting relevant literature may also be helpful.

4. What role do variables play in an investigation involving capacitance?

Variables are an important part of any scientific investigation, including those involving capacitance. They allow for the manipulation of different factors to observe their effects on the system being studied. It is important to carefully control and document the variables in an investigation to ensure accurate and reliable results.

5. How can I ensure the accuracy and validity of my findings when working with capacitance?

To ensure accuracy and validity, it is important to follow proper scientific methods and protocols, carefully control variables, and repeat experiments multiple times to ensure consistency. It is also important to thoroughly analyze and interpret the data, and consider any potential sources of error. Peer review and replication of the study by other scientists can also help validate the findings.