Jackson's Text is not my Friend-Any E+M Text Recommendations?

• Thread starter Djinn
  • Start date
Jackson's Text is not my Friend--Any E+M Text Recommendations?

Hello Everyone,

I am a first year PhD student taking E+M. We are using, as many students do, the dear text by John David Djingleheimer Jackson. He seems like a pretty righteous dude, but I'm not feeling the textbook. Does anyone have any recommendations for supplementary texts? To give an example of a book I love: Shankar's Principles of Quantum Mechanics.

Much obliged.

-- Djinn

Answers and Replies

CompuChip
Science Advisor
Homework Helper

I don't have much experience with E&M textbooks, but I found Griffith's book rather instructive. I like the way he sets things up and his writing style in general.

Jackson is indeed very rigorous, and I definitely recommend reading it to tighten your grip on the material - besides it is very useful as a reference. However, I agree that for learning, you mind find some other book useful.

nicksauce
Science Advisor
Homework Helper

Take a look at Schwinger's E&M text. I liked it a lot from what i read.

TMM

To give an example of a book I love: Shankar's Principles of Quantum Mechanics.
I loved Shankar as well and found many of the same things I loved about Shankar in Griffiths. Griffiths is not as rigorous as Jackson of course, but it will prepare you well. Have you read Goldstein yet as well?

Schwartz, Principles of Electrodynamics. I've also heard good things about Panofsky & Philips.

Thanks to all for their recommendations, and to whoever moved the thread to the right place. I looked for a section like this, but I'm new here and I didn't find it. :^)

Electrodynamics by Fulvio Melia
This book isn't big on doing a bunch of calculations (it doesn't even have problem sets), but it does do a good job of explaining the ideas.

Dr Transport
Science Advisor
Gold Member

Look for Smythe or Stratton, either is good and I think better than Jackson.

Landau
Science Advisor

Yes, that's true. But TS asked for supplementary texts, and I think VanderLine serves this purpose well.

The other major comprehensive book is Schwinger.

If you're gonna do Jackson, and like the three Stooges say, "It feels so good when you stop.", find which group of students has that file drawer of previous question attempts. You gotta do a lot of problems to love Jackson and few humans are capable of doing enough of those completelyfrom scratch.

Dr Transport
Science Advisor
Gold Member

Electrodynamics of continuous media by Landau and Lifgarbagez covers most of what is covered in Jackson in more detail.

jasonRF
Science Advisor
Gold Member

the book "classical electromagnetic radiation" by heald and marion is pretty good for the dynamics piece (not so much for statics). It is at an advanced undergrad level - above Griffiths, I would say (although Griffiths is really really good). You can get a used copy of the second edition for <$10 at Amazon.

good luck

jason

Meir Achuz
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member

"Classical Electromagnetism" by Franklin is at Jackson's level, but is readable.