1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Jackson's Text is not my Friend-Any E+M Text Recommendations?

1. Sep 20, 2009 #1
    Jackson's Text is not my Friend--Any E+M Text Recommendations?

Hello Everyone,

I am a first year PhD student taking E+M. We are using, as many students do, the dear text by John David Djingleheimer Jackson. He seems like a pretty righteous dude, but I'm not feeling the textbook. Does anyone have any recommendations for supplementary texts? To give an example of a book I love: Shankar's Principles of Quantum Mechanics.

Much obliged.

-- Djinn

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2009 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: Jackson's Text is not my Friend--Any E+M Text Recommendations?

I don't have much experience with E&M textbooks, but I found Griffith's book rather instructive. I like the way he sets things up and his writing style in general.

Jackson is indeed very rigorous, and I definitely recommend reading it to tighten your grip on the material - besides it is very useful as a reference. However, I agree that for learning, you mind find some other book useful.

4. Sep 20, 2009 #3

nicksauce

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Take a look at Schwinger's E&M text. I liked it a lot from what i read.

5. Sep 20, 2009 #4

TMM

I loved Shankar as well and found many of the same things I loved about Shankar in Griffiths. Griffiths is not as rigorous as Jackson of course, but it will prepare you well. Have you read Goldstein yet as well?

6. Sep 20, 2009 #5

Schwartz, Principles of Electrodynamics. I've also heard good things about Panofsky & Philips.

7. Sep 20, 2009 #6

Thanks to all for their recommendations, and to whoever moved the thread to the right place. I looked for a section like this, but I'm new here and I didn't find it. :^)

8. Sep 21, 2009 #7

Electrodynamics by Fulvio Melia
    This book isn't big on doing a bunch of calculations (it doesn't even have problem sets), but it does do a good job of explaining the ideas.

9. Sep 22, 2009 #8

Landau

Science Advisor

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  10. Sep 22, 2009 #9
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  11. Sep 22, 2009 #10

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Look for Smythe or Stratton, either is good and I think better than Jackson.

12. Sep 23, 2009 #11
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  13. Sep 23, 2009 #12

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  14. Sep 23, 2009 #13

Landau

Science Advisor

Yes, that's true. But TS asked for supplementary texts, and I think VanderLine serves this purpose well.

15. Sep 23, 2009 #14

The other major comprehensive book is Schwinger.

16. Sep 23, 2009 #15

If you're gonna do Jackson, and like the three Stooges say, "It feels so good when you stop.", find which group of students has that file drawer of previous question attempts. You gotta do a lot of problems to love Jackson and few humans are capable of doing enough of those completelyfrom scratch.

17. Sep 23, 2009 #16

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Electrodynamics of continuous media by Landau and Lifgarbagez covers most of what is covered in Jackson in more detail.

18. Sep 29, 2009 #17

jasonRF

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

the book "classical electromagnetic radiation" by heald and marion is pretty good for the dynamics piece (not so much for statics). It is at an advanced undergrad level - above Griffiths, I would say (although Griffiths is really really good). You can get a used copy of the second edition for <$10 at Amazon.

good luck

jason

19. Dec 2, 2009 #18

clem

Science Advisor

"Classical Electromagnetism" by Franklin is at Jackson's level, but is readable.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook