1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum, PDE, topology, and particle physics texts, oh my!

1. May 6, 2009 #1
    Hello all!

So, I'll be taking first-semester quantum mechanics and partial differential equations this fall, and would like to get a little bit of a head start by reading/working some problems on my own this summer. After some initial browsing, I've heard mixed-to-poor reviews concerning Griffiths for quantum, but I'm really not sure where to start; I'm looking for a nice accessible textbook that would be quite readable and not unnecessarily rigorous after one semester each of E&M and modern physics. And I have no idea which PDE texts would be good for self-study, so... (I took ODEs about a year ago, as well, but nothing more since then.)

The topology aspect is more independent interest, as I won't be able to take any sort of class on it until next spring or so at the earliest. However, having real analysis and abstract algebra courses under my belt, I think I would like to scope topology out a bit too.

Any book recommendations for any of the three subjects would be greatly appreciated! :)

P.S. Has anyone read Griffiths on Elementary Particle Physics? If so, what did you think? That's a book I've been wanting to check out for a while too.

2. jcsd
  3. May 6, 2009 #2
  4. May 14, 2009 #3

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

topology = Essential Topology, Springer

Concerning quantum mech, we have 100 threads about introduction books in QM in this sub-forum.

5. May 17, 2009 #4

nicksauce

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think Griffiths for particle physics is a great book if you want to learn particle physics without knowing QFT. I'm also under the impression (although I could be wrong) that there is a new edition out, so maybe he won't talk about the top quark not yet being discovered or other silly things.

6. May 19, 2009 #5

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I agree. Nice discussion of Feynman diagrams.
    I have the new edition. Nice discussion of neutrino masses and neutrino oscillations.

7. May 23, 2009 #6
    shankar's qm

applied pdes by haberman

munkres for topology

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook