1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Jet fighter flying in a vertical loop

1. Aug 2, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A jet fighter flies in a vertical circle of diameter 1000 m. The speed of the aeroplane at the bottom of this circle is 185 m s-1. For the aeroplane at this point, calculate:
    Apparent weight
    2. Relevant equations

Fc = mv^2/r
    Ac = v^2/r
    Fn = Fg + Fc

3. The attempt at a solution

I cannot find a single way to find the apparent weight of something without mass, it is doing my head in. I have scowered the internet and nothing. Please help me!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 2, 2017 #2

RUber

Homework Helper

What if you were to let M be the mass of the aircraft? What would you get? Can you work out the acceleration components?

4. Aug 2, 2017 #3

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I agree with you. Unless you are given the mass, you can not calculate the "apparent weight". However, you can calculate the number of g's and you can calculate a multiplying factor, A, of whatever the weight is: apparentWeight= A*airplaneMass.

5. Aug 2, 2017 #4

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

@jstretto : This problem does have a solution . You would find it much easier to understand the problem and get to the solution if you drew a simple diagram .

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted