Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Jets from Black Holes - do they carry momentum?

1. Oct 23, 2009 #1
    Q: do jets from Black Holes carry away the momentum from Black holes - in any form?
    Is matter in these jets rotating?
    Or may be particles carry the same spin?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2009 #2
    I dont know what do you mean by 'creating space time'.
    But I do hope that a least some of the BH are super-extreme
    I would be happy to see Closed Time-like loops in the observable universe

4. Nov 2, 2009 #3

Wallace

Science Advisor

The jets from black holes in say Active Galactic Nuclei (AGN) certainly do carry momentum. However, the whole system of an AGN is complex. You have the central black hole which has its mass and angular momentum, but then you also have a lot of energy and momentum contained in the material around the black hole, the `accreation disk' that is falling in. So, in fact the black hole continues to gain energy and momentum via accreation, while some is lost in the jets. Essentially accreation is not 100% efficient in terms of converting all the energy (internal and gravitational) of the surrounding material into the black hole. In fact most of it is shed in the form of the jets or other radiation.

So, yes the jets carry away momentum and energy, but not that of the black hole.

5. Nov 2, 2009 #4
    is it possible that BH consume space time ?

6. Nov 2, 2009 #5

Wallace

Science Advisor

Space-time is a mathematical construct that lets you calculate the graviational influence of gravitating bodes on other bodies. Black holes can consume things that exist, such as anything with mass or energy, but not 'space-time'.

7. Nov 2, 2009 #6
    thank you

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook