1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Jobs and salary for Mathematics and Physics addict students.

1. Feb 13, 2009 #1
    Hi guys n gals,

I am new here. I am about to finish my 11th grade/ GCE AS Level Exams. I have Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, Further Mathematics and Applied ICT. What major should I take in my undergraduate course to ensure a (very) high salary.

Thank you and hoping for a quick reply plzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!!!

P.S: Mechatronics is good but i don't know if Mathematics is of importance in this subject.

N.B: I love Mathematics :)

Last edited: Feb 13, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2009 #2
    Mathematics is proof based, not applied. If you have not seen proof based math, then you are in no condition to say you love math. College math will all be proofs, just like geometry if you did that.

A high salary can only be achieved if you excel in your field, so choose something you love doing and the money will come naturally. Having said that, physics, math, and chemistry are academic disciplines - so you will never ensure a very high salary. As a general rule, if you want money DO NOT GO INTO ACADEMIA. Engineering, financial math, and the more applied fields are more employable and as such guarentee a higher paycheque.

4. Feb 13, 2009 #3

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

It's not so much the subject that ensures a high salary, rather, what you do with it.

Naturally, it's wise to pursue in university the subjects that you enjoy in high school. But often students find that their interests change as they move through higher education. Subjects get more competative, topics are covered with much more depth and rigour, and a certain amount of knowledge always seems to be "assumed" - whether or not the students actually have it. I believe that the best way to address this is to start out with a general flexible program that will keep as many doors open as possible.

5. Feb 13, 2009 #4
    You could get a B.S. in physics with a postgraduate degree in medical physics. Medical physicists make damn good money.

6. Feb 14, 2009 #5
    Hey, I do not have biology. I have never studied Biology. Would it be possible for me to enter this career?

Moreover, what are your views about turbine engineers, etc.?

7. Feb 14, 2009 #6
    You can read about the prerequisites for the medical physics program at the University of Texas Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences at the link below. They only require two semesters of biology for admission to the Ph.D program, and none for the M.S. program. You have plenty of time to take those classes since you haven't even started college.

http://www.uth.tmc.edu/gsbs/programs/medphys/ [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  8. Feb 14, 2009 #7
    study law or accountancy

9. Feb 15, 2009 #8
    Hey, Hi,

Actually mate, I do not have the slightest interest in Biology. I do not like anything about this subject (no offence).I would really like to study anything that is closely related to physics and mathematics and also earn as much as possible.

Someone please help me out :S

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  10. Feb 15, 2009 #9
    You don't know what you're asking for so you can't be helped. Physics and math have to be approached on their own terms -- not with a view to a fat paycheck. If you're thinking about the fat paycheck at the end, you won't be able to focus on the math and physics.

From what you've written, I would advise you to stay away from the exact sciences. As someone has already suggested, look at accountancy or law.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook