1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Jobs in Nuclear physics and Particle physics.

1. Sep 2, 2009 #1

PrincePhoenix

Gold Member

What jobs can one get after doing a PhD in nuclear physics or particle physics except for lecturership? Where are they used?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2009 #2
    There are many fields of the private industry that are looking for physicist. I will drop the ones outside the physics field.

With a doctorship in nuclear physics, you can definitely work in a nuclear power plant. You can also work for nuclear power plant designer (Westinghouse, GE, Mitsubishi, Areva, ...). You could also find a job in the field of nuclear fuel, either in the mining for uranium, or into recycling of used fuel. To get on the other side, you could find a job at the government, for the licensing authorities.

These are the jobs that come to my mind just like that. I am sure by searchin a bit, I could find some more for you. As you can see, the nuclear field is very active. And I only talked about the nuclear fission, where there are other jobs in nuclear fusion.

Cheers

4. Sep 2, 2009 #3

PrincePhoenix

Gold Member

What about particle physics?

5. Sep 3, 2009 #4
    Having done my PhD in nuclear applied physics, I know less about particle physics. I believe you might be a little bit more stuck on pure research.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook