1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Jobs where you are active/outdoors?

1. Feb 21, 2015 #1
    Maybe this is a silly question, but I don't feel particularly drawn to any form of engineering yet, other than I don't want to be a software engineer (I like things that are more concrete). What matters to me more is the job isn't just sitting at a desk all day everyday. What fields might I be more interested in? I haven't been able to take any engineering classes yet so it's still wide open.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2015 #2
    How about Environmental Engineer?

4. Feb 21, 2015 #3

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Civil.
    Petroleum.
    Ocean.

Many mechanical/electrical/aerospace jobs involving measurement and testing.

5. Feb 24, 2015 #4
    Work for a small company. Field engineering and test engineering may be up your alley. Petroleum engineering is hands on too, but it can be very demanding living on a rig. Good money though.

6. Feb 25, 2015 #5
    I'm in training (after a physics degree) to be an operating engineer (A.K.A. steam engineer), so a lot of what I do is very hands-on work. OE's work in refrigeration/warehouses/breweries/power plants/oil processing - all those kinds of places. We monitor, maintain, and repair the machines in such places.

7. Feb 25, 2015 #6
    As Vanadium said, petro engineers fit that criteria and they make very good money as well, so I would definitely keep that option in mind.

8. Feb 25, 2015 #7
    Becoming a licensed surveyor is interesting. It's a lot like engineering in many ways. You may want to consider it.

Another outdoors job is controls engineering. You find jobs like that in electric, water, and gas companies. If you like to work outdoors in all sorts of weather, you're gonna love those jobs. I've been out there in all kinds of weather at any time of day or night. The thing is that when you're done, you have a feeling of accomplishment. You've been there and done something unsung that the public is largely oblivious to.

I've also been outside climbing a tower on a beautiful spring day, marveling that people paid me to do it. Consider that too...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook