1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Joint BS/MS in Mathematics

1. Feb 1, 2013 #1
    As I've been looking at universities this year, a lot of them offer a joint bachelors and masters in math for undergrads, and I'm unsure if this is a good idea. I'm afraid that I won't get a thorough, well-rounded education if I rush through things, but on the other hand it could be helpful get a head start and save tuition money.

Could someone who has done this or knows about it give their opinion? Is this something to be looking for when comparing universities?

BTW, I'm a high school senior, and I'm 99% sure that I'll be studying math in college.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2013 #2
    I'm sure it's different from school to school but at mine there are no corners cut in the BS/MS programs except the GRE. They're basically designed for people who are coming in with a lot of AP credit.

As far as I've seen, kids are shaving off a semester or more from their undergrad, having done calc 1,2 and 3, chem and physics in HS. (Not to mention, CS and whatever else.)

People in this position have the options to graduate early, get a double minor or double major or start working on their master's their senior by way of the BS/MS programs within the degrees for which they are offered. It's supposed to be quite challenging.

I'm not there yet but it's an option I've considered for myself as my department, CS, offers this option.

The point is, optimally, the 'rushed' part should already be behind you. That is to say, you will have already been taking college level courses in HS. I don't think it's possible to have a normal, full senior year courseload and be working on a Master's. That is not how the advisors have explained it to me, anyway.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook