1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Joint probability density function problem

1. Jan 14, 2009 #1
    Suppose that h is the probability density function of a continuous random variable.
    Let the joint probability density function of X, Y, and Z be
    f(x,y,z) = h(x)h(y)h(z) , x,y,zER

Prove that P(X<Y<Z)=1/6

I don't know how to do this at all. This is suppose to be review since this is a continuation course, but I didn't take the previous course

Any help would be greatly appreciated
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2009 #2
    For each permutation [itex]\sigma\in S_n[/itex] you can define a following subset of [itex]\mathbb{R}^n[/itex].

X_{\sigma} := \{x\in\mathbb{R}^n\;|\; x_{\sigma(1)} \leq x_{\sigma(2)} \leq \cdots \leq x_{\sigma(n)}\}

Some relevant questions: Are these subsets (with different [itex]\sigma[/itex]) mostly/essentially disjoint? In what sense they are the same shape? How many of these subsets are there? What is the union [tex]\bigcup_{\sigma\in S_n} X_{\sigma}[/tex]? If a function [itex]f:\mathbb{R}^n\to\mathbb{R}[/itex] is invariant under a swapping of parameters like this

f(x_1,\ldots, x_n) = f(x_1,\ldots, x_{i-1},x_j, x_{i+1},\ldots x_{j-1}, x_i, x_{j+1},\ldots, x_n),

what information does the restriction of [tex]f|_{X_{\sigma}}[/tex] contain?

This is all related to your problem.
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?