Jordan Form of Linear Transformation Matrix: R_1[x]

  • Thread starter Thread starter talolard
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Form
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
talolard
Messages
119
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


The question si to find the jordan form of the following, I think it is diagnizable and am wondering if i am misunderstanding something or if diagnizable is a subccase of jordan form:
Anyway
Given the vector space [tex]R_1[x][/tex] i.e. the space of linear functions (a+bx) find the jordan form of the follwoing matrix
[tex]T(a+bx)=2a+b+bx[/tex]
I thinbk the matrix of T is
[2 1]
[0 1]
Which means it has eigenvalues 2 and 1 with eigenvectors {1,0}. {1,-1}
Is that correct or did I misunderstadn something?
Thanks
Tal


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution

 
Physics news on Phys.org
talolard said:

Homework Statement


The question si to find the jordan form of the following, I think it is diagnizable and am wondering if i am misunderstanding something or if diagnizable is a subccase of jordan form:
Anyway
Given the vector space [tex]R_1[x][/tex] i.e. the space of linear functions (a+bx) find the jordan form of the follwoing matrix
[tex]T(a+bx)=2a+b+bx[/tex]
I thinbk the matrix of T is
[2 1]
[0 1]
Which means it has eigenvalues 2 and 1 with eigenvectors {1,0}. {1,-1}
Is that correct or did I misunderstadn something?
Thanks
Tal

Everything looks fine, Tal. If you write P using your eigenvectors as columns, and find P-1, P-1AP is a diagonal matrix.