1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Jordan Form- Please confirm my solution

1. May 31, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    edit, sorry its not jordan form, I misplaced words.
    Hey,
    Let A be an nxn matrix over some field F. [tex] A \neg 0 [/tex] and [tex] A^{2009}+A^{2007}=0 [/tex]. Is a diagnizable?

Attempt at solution
    we can notice that [tex] A^{2009}+A^{2007}=0 \iff A^{2007}(A^2+I)=0 \iff A^{2007}=0 or A^2=-I [/tex]
    If [tex] A^2 = -I [/tex] then a is a diagnol matrix with eigenvalues i and -i (i is defined as the sqaure root of -1 in the field. if the field does not have sucha number then A is not diagnizable).
    If [/tex] A^2 \neq -I [/tex] then[tex] A^{2007}=0 [/tex] but the A is nillpotent and so has less the n eigenvectors, so A is not diagnizable. q.e.d.
    Is this correct?
    Thanks
    Tal

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Last edited: May 31, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. May 31, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

You are omitting a possibility. For square matrices A and B, it is possible for AB = 0 where neither A nor B is the 0 matrix.

Here's a simple example.
    [tex]\left[
    \begin{array}{c c} 0 & 1 \\ 0 & 0 \end{array} \right]
    \left[
    \begin{array}{c c} 0 & 2 \\ 0 & 0 \end{array} \right] =
    \left[
    \begin{array}{c c} 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 \end{array} \right][/tex]

4. May 31, 2010 #3
    Hi Mark,
    thanks for your input. I think I'm missing your point.
    As I see it, I am only talking about AA, and not Ab, two different matrices. if B= A^2006 abnd AB=-0 tehn AB=A*A*A&2006=A^2007=0 which still leaves A nilpotent.
    If that is not the case then we need A^2=-I which still means that A is diagnozable iff sqrt(-1) exists in the field.
    What am I missing?
    Thanks
    Tal

5. May 31, 2010 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

You are talking about two different matrices: A2007 and A2 + I. You said that since A2007(A2 + I) = 0, then it must be that A2700 = 0 or A2 + I = 0.

What I said was that it is possible for the product of two matrices to be zero, where neither matrix is the zero matrix.

It is true that if A = 0 or B = 0, then AB = 0, but the converse is not necessarily true, as my example shows.

6. Jun 1, 2010 #5
    Ok, heres an improvment:
    Assume A is diagnizable. Let v be an eigenvector of A with an eigenvalue, c, that is not 0. then we have
    [tex] (A^{2009}+A^{2007})\vec(v) =A^{2009}\vec(v) + A^{2007}\vec(v) = c^{2009}\vec(v) + c^{2007}\vec(v)=0 \iff c=i or c=-i[/tex]
    If A is a 2x2 matrix over a field where i exists then the matrix is diagnizable. otherwise it i not.
    if RkA> 3 then for A to be diagnizable it would need other eigenvalues but none would atisfy the condition.
    Is that correct?
    Thanks
    Tal

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook