Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Journal bearing reaction loads calculation

1. May 28, 2014 #1
    Dear everybody here,

Here is a problem to solve, from shigley handbook for Machine design, it's about Journal bearing design for the shown shaft in the attachment, i know how to design the journal bearing, but i am a little bit confused about how to get the reaction forces at the two points A and B, and the shaft load at those points to consider into the bearing design

The loads at x-direction are neglected, and steady state working conditions, getting the reactions can be by getting ∑Fy=0 ?, if so, what about the shaft loads at those points?

Please take a look at the attached picture, it has the whole given data, i only need the procedures to get the loads right

will appreciate your help,
    Thanks

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 28, 2014 #2
    Would you not just take moments about A to get the reaction at B, and/or vise-versa?

4. May 28, 2014 #3
    yes, and what about the shaft load at the points A and B?, how to get?

5. May 28, 2014 #4
    it will be equal to the reaction force i get?, at A and B?

6. May 28, 2014 #5
    The reaction forces at A and B balance the weight of the shaft and the weight of the disks. ∑Fy=0.

If the reaction force at A ( or B ) is found, then by using ∑Fy=0, the reaction at the other location is found.

7. May 28, 2014 #6
    Okay bits, thanks for your help

8. Apr 10, 2016 #7
    Hi
    I'm here to follow this topic,engaging same problem,worn journal bearings on cam seats.

9. Apr 10, 2016 #8
    I had a similiar problem with rocker arms and shafts failing every 15 000 miles. It turned out to be the film strength of the engine oil I was using was inadequate. Here in the USA the high film strength stuff has a logo on it that says "For Gasoline Engines." I know, it's an oxymoron. The particular standard was promulgated by Ford Motor Co. maybe 20 years ago and they trademarked the phrase. Then they got it accepted by the API (American Petroleum Institute) as a standard. Honda Motor Co. specifies their own oil for motorcycles with appearently similiar requirements.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted