Journal bearing reaction loads calculation

In summary: I used to use Mobil 1 5W-40, now I use 10W-30.In summary, the author discusses how to design journal bearings for a shaft, and how to account for the loads at points A and B. He recommends using a different oil if the standard oil is not strong enough.
gaber2611
Dear everybody here,

Here is a problem to solve, from shigley handbook for Machine design, it's about Journal bearing design for the shown shaft in the attachment, i know how to design the journal bearing, but i am a little bit confused about how to get the reaction forces at the two points A and B, and the shaft load at those points to consider into the bearing design

The loads at x-direction are neglected, and steady state working conditions, getting the reactions can be by getting ∑Fy=0 ?, if so, what about the shaft loads at those points?

Please take a look at the attached picture, it has the whole given data, i only need the procedures to get the loads right

will appreciate your help,
Thanks

Attachments

• problem statement.JPG
    problem statement.JPG
    52 KB · Views: 907
Engineering news on Phys.org
Would you not just take moments about A to get the reaction at B, and/or vise-versa?

yes, and what about the shaft load at the points A and B?, how to get?

it will be equal to the reaction force i get?, at A and B?

The reaction forces at A and B balance the weight of the shaft and the weight of the disks. ∑Fy=0.

If the reaction force at A ( or B ) is found, then by using ∑Fy=0, the reaction at the other location is found.

Okay bits, thanks for your help

Hi
I'm here to follow this topic,engaging same problem,worn journal bearings on cam seats.

mehranx said:
I'm here to follow this topic,engaging same problem,worn journal bearings on cam seats.

I had a similar problem with rocker arms and shafts failing every 15 000 miles. It turned out to be the film strength of the engine oil I was using was inadequate. Here in the USA the high film strength stuff has a logo on it that says "For Gasoline Engines." I know, it's an oxymoron. The particular standard was promulgated by Ford Motor Co. maybe 20 years ago and they trademarked the phrase. Then they got it accepted by the API (American Petroleum Institute) as a standard. Honda Motor Co. specifies their own oil for motorcycles with appearently similar requirements.

Related to Journal bearing reaction loads calculation

What is a journal bearing?

A journal bearing is a type of mechanical bearing that supports a rotating shaft. It consists of a shaft rotating inside of a cylindrical shell filled with lubricant, which reduces friction and allows for smooth rotation.

How do you calculate the reaction loads on a journal bearing?

The reaction loads on a journal bearing can be calculated using the basic principles of mechanics. The load is determined by the weight of the rotating shaft and any external forces acting on it, as well as the properties of the bearing itself.

What factors affect the reaction loads on a journal bearing?

The reaction loads on a journal bearing can be affected by various factors, including the speed and direction of rotation, the weight and size of the shaft, the type and viscosity of the lubricant, and the design and material of the bearing itself.

Why is it important to calculate the reaction loads on a journal bearing?

Calculating the reaction loads on a journal bearing is important for ensuring the proper functioning and longevity of the bearing, as well as the overall performance of the machine or equipment it is a part of. It can also help identify potential issues or areas for improvement.

Are there any tools or software available for calculating journal bearing reaction loads?

Yes, there are various tools and software programs available for calculating journal bearing reaction loads. These can range from basic hand calculations to more advanced computer simulations, depending on the complexity of the system and the desired level of accuracy.