Does Jumping in a Rotating Space Cylinder Make You Land Ahead?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of gravity in space being simulated by rotation and whether a person jumping inside a rotating cylinder would land ahead or behind their starting point. The conclusion is that due to Coriolis acceleration, the person will always land ahead of where they started, as they are moving at a greater speed on a shorter path compared to the starting point. This reasoning is also supported by a Java applet that allows for exploration of different scenarios.
Null-Set
Gravity in space is best simulated by rotation. If I were inside a rotating cylinder facing the direction of rotation (i.e. a window at my feet would show objects coming into view from the top of the window) and jumped straight into the air, would I land ahead of where I started or behind where I started?

I read that you should land behind where you started, which does not make sense to me. I think that you do drift as you jump due to Coriolis acceleration, but I never learned about that so I tried to work it all out in the inertial frame. The jumper and the space station start with a tangential velocity [tex]v_{t}[/tex]. The jumper then jumps and leaves the ground with radial velocity [tex]v_{r}[/tex], from his perspective. Now that he is in free fall he will travel in a straight path until he intersects the edge of the cylinder again. Meanwhile, the cylinder rotates beneath him. The jumper is following a straight path at a speed [tex]\sqrt{v^{2}_{t} + v^{2}_{r}}[/tex] and the starting point is moving along a curved path at a speed [tex]|v_{t}|[/tex]. The jumper will intersect the cylinder again before the starting point rotates to that point, because the jumper is moving on a shorter path at a greater speed. Thus, the jumper lands ahead of where he started after jumping straight up.

Did I make any mistakes there?

Physics news on Phys.org
You're completely right. Another way to see it is conservation of angular momentum/ [itex] r v_t [/itex] is constant for you and for the cylinder. Since your r is smaller while you jump, [itex] v_t [/itex] must be larger, and your angular speed, which is [itex] v_t/r [/itex] is also larger than that of the cylinder.

If you jump on the rotating earth, you will end up a little bit behind, because your r will be larger while you jump.

Null-Set said:
Gravity in space is best simulated by rotation. If I were inside a rotating cylinder facing the direction of rotation (i.e. a window at my feet would show objects coming into view from the top of the window) and jumped straight into the air, would I land ahead of where I started or behind where I started?

I read that you should land behind where you started, which does not make sense to me. I think that you do drift as you jump due to Coriolis acceleration, but I never learned about that so I tried to work it all out in the inertial frame. The jumper and the space station start with a tangential velocity [tex]v_{t}[/tex]. The jumper then jumps and leaves the ground with radial velocity [tex]v_{r}[/tex], from his perspective. Now that he is in free fall he will travel in a straight path until he intersects the edge of the cylinder again. Meanwhile, the cylinder rotates beneath him. The jumper is following a straight path at a speed [tex]\sqrt{v^{2}_{t} + v^{2}_{r}}[/tex] and the starting point is moving along a curved path at a speed [tex]|v_{t}|[/tex]. The jumper will intersect the cylinder again before the starting point rotates to that point, because the jumper is moving on a shorter path at a greater speed. Thus, the jumper lands ahead of where he started after jumping straight up.

You can verify your reasoning visually with the following Java applet that is on my website:
http://www.cleonis.nl/physics/ejs/spacestation_vertical_throw_simulation.php"
Which has exactly the setup you are describing here
The applet allows you to vary several settings, so you can explore a range of cases.

Your reasoning is correct: if the jumper jumps up perpendicular to the local cilinder wall, then his velocity relative to the inertial frame is the vector sum of the tangential velocity of co-rotating with the cilinder, and the radial velocity of the jump. Hence with such a jump you will allways land ahead of the spot where you jumped from.

Cleonis
http://www.cleonis.nl

Last edited by a moderator:

What is artificial gravity?

Artificial gravity is the concept of creating a force that mimics the effects of gravity on objects, without actually relying on a planet's or object's natural gravitational pull.

How does jumping in artificial gravity differ from jumping on Earth?

Jumping in artificial gravity is similar to jumping on Earth in terms of the physical motion, but the force of gravity experienced is different. In artificial gravity, the force is created by centripetal acceleration or a spinning motion, while on Earth it is due to the planet's mass.

What are some potential applications of jumping in artificial gravity?

Jumping in artificial gravity can have various applications, such as in space exploration to help astronauts maintain muscle and bone strength, in rehabilitation to aid in physical therapy, and in simulations for training astronauts or athletes.

What are the potential risks of jumping in artificial gravity?

Some potential risks of jumping in artificial gravity include dizziness, nausea, and disorientation due to the change in gravitational force. There may also be a risk of injury if the artificial gravity is not carefully controlled.

Can jumping in artificial gravity be used for long-term habitation in space?

While jumping in artificial gravity can be beneficial for short-term use in space, it may not be suitable for long-term habitation as it does not replicate the full effects of Earth's gravity. It may also be difficult to maintain and power the equipment needed for artificial gravity in a long-term space habitat.