Jumpstarting Your Programming Career: Tips from a City College CS Student

• Thread starter nameVoid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    C++
In summary, the conversation highlights the best ways to get into the programming industry, such as getting involved in internships and open source projects to gain experience and differentiate oneself from other candidates. The importance of having a genuine interest in a specific field in computer science is also emphasized. It is mentioned that a degree in CS does not guarantee success and that experience and teamwork skills are highly valued in the industry. The importance of learning about commercial projects and software development cycles is also mentioned. It is advised to have a combination of a degree and real project experience to become an effective coder.
nameVoid
im doing course work in city college in computer science and would like to know the best way to get my foot in the door in the programming industry at this point i have completed both cs1 and cs2.

Physics news on Phys.org
nameVoid said:
im doing course work in city college in computer science and would like to know the best way to get my foot in the door in the programming industry at this point i have completed both cs1 and cs2.

If you want to get your foot in the door, the best thing for you to do is to get involved. Internships and opensource projects are both good ways to get experience. When your search for your first job, the projects that you have done in your spare time can really differentiate you from other candidates.

Unfortunately, getting a degree in comp sci or it doesn't garrentee you anything. You will be surprise at how may people with other degree are programmers. My opinion i think that experience counts, more than the degree even at entry level.

My advice only go to school for a major that you really enjoy. If you genuinely have interest in a specific field in CS such as computer vision, computation theory, cryptography, artificial intelligence .. etc, then It would be best if you stuck with computer science. Other wise you should major in something else and take programming electives.

nameVoid said:

Projects are good. Learning teamwork, documentation, proper engineering and development is another thing. Working with versioning systems in a team environment is what you want to show along with specific attributes related to what you want to do.

For example if you want to work with databases for example say Oracle, you usually get some sort of certification. On top of this you would usually have a degree plus experience. I strongly emphasize that you learn how commercial projects are dreamt up, designed, and deployed because that's the way that companies work nowadays.

Learning things like good communication skills are paramount and I say that from experience in working in a commercial setting. They can be even more important than your technical aptitude and ability.

Most projects are so big that often no-one can be everything to the team. Sure people will find their niche in the project and be valued for that, however things nowadays are done so that everyone knows what is going on with things clearly documented and explained in the code and via formal means outlining everything from a high level overview of a section of code to a more detailed points in the code as well as even more information inside formal test documents.

Learn about the software development cycles that are commonly use and try to demonstrate that you not only aware of it, but are somewhat as used to it as much as you possibly can.

I'd say to become a really effective coder you'd need a degree in technical training plus real project experience and that often takes years and years of work. Hopefully the advice I've given you can get you off to a good start.

Cheers

Matthew

whats cs1 and cs2 specifically?

Related to Jumpstarting Your Programming Career: Tips from a City College CS Student

1. How can I jumpstart my programming career?

To jumpstart your programming career, it is important to have a strong foundation in computer science concepts and programming languages. You can start by taking courses in computer science and practicing your coding skills by working on personal projects or participating in coding challenges. It is also helpful to network with other programmers and professionals in the tech industry to gain insights and advice.

2. Is it necessary to have a degree in computer science to have a successful programming career?

While having a degree in computer science can provide a strong background in programming, it is not necessary for a successful career. Many successful programmers are self-taught or have taken alternative routes to learn programming. What is more important is having a strong understanding of programming concepts and continuously learning and practicing your skills.

3. What are some key skills to have for a successful programming career?

Some key skills to have for a successful programming career include problem-solving, critical thinking, attention to detail, and the ability to work in a team. It is also important to have a strong understanding of coding languages, data structures, and algorithms. Additionally, having good communication and time management skills can also greatly benefit your career in programming.

4. How can I stand out in the competitive tech industry?

To stand out in the competitive tech industry, it is important to continuously learn and stay updated on the latest technologies and programming languages. Building a strong portfolio of personal projects or open-source contributions can also showcase your skills to potential employers. Networking and making connections in the tech industry can also provide opportunities for career growth and advancement.

5. What are some tips for landing a job in the tech industry?

To land a job in the tech industry, it is important to have a strong resume and portfolio that showcases your skills and experiences. Networking and attending industry events can also help you make connections and learn about job opportunities. It is also important to research and prepare for job interviews, highlighting your technical skills and problem-solving abilities. Additionally, having a positive attitude and being open to learning and growing in the field can make you stand out to potential employers.