1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Just a few questions - calculating the average speed and John's speed

1. Feb 28, 2014 #1
    s33jag.jpg
    Normally I would ask my teacher, but since we had the day off and it's due the day we get back, I can't question him.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    What is the difference between calculating the average speed and John's speed (questions g and f)? and how do you find displacement for a distance-time graph (question f), do you just add all the sections where John is moving or do you do the whole journey?

2. Relevant equations
    Speed = distance divided by time.
    Displacement = velocity multiplied by time.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have only attempted f, because I just want to the know the difference between question g and f.
    25+7=32-32=0.

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2014 #2
    In g, john's speed is the weighted mean of his speed in the different parts of his journey.
    In h, john's average speed in the whole journey is the total displacement divided by the time of the journey.

4. Feb 28, 2014 #3
    Thank you for clearing up the difference, it is definitely appreciated.

5. Feb 28, 2014 #4

adjacent

Gold Member

You could have posted an upright image.My head is broken now. :cry:

6. Feb 28, 2014 #5
    I'm sorry, I thought it was upright when I took it, but I think Tinypic must of changed it. :cry:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted