Just a few questions - calculating the average speed and John's speed

In summary, the difference between calculating average speed and John's speed (questions g and f) is that in g, John's speed is the weighted mean of his speed in the different parts of his journey, while in f, John's average speed in the whole journey is the total displacement divided by the time of the journey. As for finding displacement for a distance-time graph (question f), you add all the sections where John is moving to get the total displacement.
Elapsing
s33jag.jpg

Normally I would ask my teacher, but since we had the day off and it's due the day we get back, I can't question him.

Homework Statement

What is the difference between calculating the average speed and John's speed (questions g and f)? and how do you find displacement for a distance-time graph (question f), do you just add all the sections where John is moving or do you do the whole journey?

Homework Equations

Speed = distance divided by time.
Displacement = velocity multiplied by time.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have only attempted f, because I just want to the know the difference between question g and f.
25+7=32-32=0.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
In g, john's speed is the weighted mean of his speed in the different parts of his journey.
In h, john's average speed in the whole journey is the total displacement divided by the time of the journey.

LeonhardEu said:
In g, john's speed is the weighted mean of his speed in the different parts of his journey.
In h, john's average speed in the whole journey is the total displacement divided by the time of the journey.

Thank you for clearing up the difference, it is definitely appreciated.

You could have posted an upright image.My head is broken now. :cry:

adjacent said:
You could have posted an upright image.My head is broken now. :cry:

I'm sorry, I thought it was upright when I took it, but I think Tinypic must of changed it. :cry:

What is the formula for calculating average speed?

The formula for average speed is distance divided by time. This can be represented as average speed = total distance ÷ total time.

How do you calculate John's speed?

To calculate John's speed, you would use the same formula for average speed. John's speed would be represented as John's speed = total distance ÷ total time.

What units are used for average speed?

Average speed is typically measured in units of distance per time, such as miles per hour or kilometers per hour.

Can average speed be negative?

No, average speed cannot be negative. Speed is a scalar quantity that only takes into account the magnitude of an object's motion, not the direction. Therefore, it is always represented as a positive value.

How is average speed different from instantaneous speed?

Average speed is calculated by dividing the total distance traveled by the total time taken. It gives an overall representation of the object's speed during the entire journey. Instantaneous speed, on the other hand, is the speed at a specific moment in time and can vary throughout the journey.